Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

57 golden hawk flex plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/Torque Converter: 57 golden hawk flex plate

Can anyone tell me how to install flex plate bolts without taken the oil pan and rear main off. Looking at pictures and manuals the bolts are suppose to go through the crank and then the flex plate. I looks to me that they should of been installed when the crank was installed.
    I moved from Indiana to Virginia and left the engine in the machine shop to be finished and now I'm stuck

Thanks Rick

The flex plate bolts up to the block, however it would have to go on first before the torque converter and the torque converter is then bolted to the crankshaft. The bolts in the crankshaft must be inserted before the rear main is installed. If the bolts are in and the flex plate is not installed then remove the torque converter bolt the flex plate on and reinstall the torque converter.

Comment

It sounds like you are saying that some non-Studebaker experienced Machinist or Mechanic assembled this Engine without ANY Crankshaft Bolts!

I wonder how they thought you were going to bolt it up?
      Yes there is no way to do that "properly" without the Oil Pan and Rear Main Bearing Cap removed first.

I suppose a Modification COULD be done to Thread those Holes with the Trans. and Converter Out, and use hardened Grade 8 self locking or locktited screws, to install the flex Plate
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

"Don't try this at Home" but I seem to remember a parts Car that We took apart. and Some One had ground the Nuts for clearance,yes the Nuts and Bolts were reversed. I assume all was well at the time ?, I dunno should I say again "Don't try this at Home"
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Just pull the pan and rear main cap and install said bolts correctly. Sometimes it takes more energy to work around a problem instead of doing it right.

Comment

hawk flex plate

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            Just pull the pan and rear main cap and install said bolts correctly. Sometimes it takes more energy to work around a problem instead of doing it right.
            Thanks for all the input. To answer some of the questions, yes they where not experienced in Studebakers but please remember that machine shop these days don't see Studebakers in the shop most are younger age and they do mostly aluminum heads or GM blocks.

I will agree that the correct way is to do it at home where there is knowledge (not saying I know everything) so here we go taking the rear main off and hopefully no other bearings.

And yes these bolts are ground down to a circle for clearance I guess with one flat spot to hold bolt to torque it down.
            I wish I was the one that separated trans from engine because anytime I di something I take pictures as I go but I wasn't so I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by studelyman View Post
              And yes these bolts are ground down to a circle for clearance I guess with one flat spot to hold bolt to torque it down.Thanks
              studelyman, yes the bolts are supposed to have a round head with a flat on them as originally supplied. I agree with everyone else, pull the pan and the rear main bearing cap and install the bolts. And just to make sure you are aware of this - the V8s used two lengths of bolts -- a longer bolt for the manual transmission cars, and shorter bolts for the automatic transmission cars. Verify that you have the correct length bolts for your specific application before installing them and replacing the rear cap and pan!!
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                studelyman, yes the bolts are supposed to have a round head with a flat on them as originally supplied. I agree with everyone else, pull the pan and the rear main bearing cap and install the bolts. And just to make sure you are aware of this - the V8s used two lengths of bolts -- a longer bolt for the manual transmission cars, and shorter bolts for the automatic transmission cars. Verify that you have the correct length bolts for your specific application before installing them and replacing the rear cap and pan!!

Well spent the day removing old gasket off of oil pan and caps. I did remove the rear main, installed new gaskets and looks like i'm ready to move forward.
                Upon looking at old flex plate I noticed some stress on it. It was not cracked yet but since I'm here and the part is not that expensive I will replace it with a new one. Don't want to tear it apart latter after it cracks.

Thanks for all the replies and I agree the only way is to remove main cap. Luckily the engine was a fresh rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                X