Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acolds
    replied
    If in the future you decide to use dual master cylinder the booster system design will not allow both front and rear brakes to have boost

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Guys.. He says it's a new booster, not a rebuild. Studebaker International has been selling the NEW ones for a few years now.
    The new ones don't have the old style leather diaphragm, and don't require neatsfoot oil. Do not put any oil inside of it!!

It's a new part that isn't operating correctly. The vendor should replace it for you.

For what it's worth, this is the first time I've read/heard about anyone having a bad experience with the reproduction Hydrovacs. Every other report has been positive.

Another option.. Remove the booster entirely and swap the brake pedal out with a non-boost pedal. The angles/length/ratios were different between the two. You wouldn't be the first person to convert to non-boosted brakes.
    Last edited by mbstude; 11-21-2016, 05:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Leather tack shop will have the neesfoot oil that you need. I use Reever Ranch in Auburn, but I'm sure that you can find something between Fall City and Monroe.

Leave a comment:

• 55 56 PREZ 4D
    replied
    Be aware that some neatsfoot oil is a concoction of chemicals with a little neatsfoot.
    Look for 100 percent neatsfoot.

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    My experience on new or rebuilt is that either is a 50/50 proposition, whether hydovac or standard vacuum boosters. I have found rebuilders to be more apt to replace or repair their workmanship, providers of new units tend to blame something else and only reluctantly replace the unit, and sometimes the replacement is just as bad as the original!!

Leave a comment:

• Bonrobbi
    replied
    No hill holder. I agree, sounds like a wonky booster. Now I just gotta talk them into exchanging it and starting the process over. Anyone have input on buying new or rebuilt? Thought I was avoiding chances of exactly what I ended up with by buying new, maybe I should try rebuilt this time. They also offer a core refund if buying rebuilt. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    After all that still sounds like a wonky booster.had same problem on 64 decades ago, turned out rebuilder used wrong lube on a valve part so it was full on or off and no in between(NAPA counter person, very trust worthy). they switched rebuilder's after that. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Does car have a hill holder? I had same problem with my 63 R2 Hawk, nearly pulled my hair out. Bypassed the hill holder, problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• thunderations
    replied
    Neats are little mammals that used to live in grease pits at the old time gas stations, that's why you don't see many of them anymore. Ask a silly question.......
    Originally posted by Bonrobbi View Post
    Hmmm, I'll give it a try. Now I just gotta find Neetsfoot oil. Say, by the way what is a Neet and how come their feet are oily?
    Last edited by thunderations; 11-20-2016, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bonrobbi
    replied
    Hmmm, I'll give it a try. Now I just gotta find Neetsfoot oil. Say, by the way what is a Neet and how come their feet are oily?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonrobbi View Post
    It's a brand new booster, do they still use the leather seal?
    It's probably dry from sitting on the shelf. Even if the seal has been changed to some sort of synthetic material, and I do not know if it has or not, the neesfoot oil cannot hurt and may do the job for you.

Leave a comment:

• Bonrobbi
    replied
    It's a brand new booster, do they still use the leather seal?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Have you tried lubricating the leather seal with neetsfoot oil? Somewhere on the big drum shape of the hydrovac there is an 1/8" pipe plug. If you pull that plug you can pour in a teaspoon or two of neatsfoot oil. That oil is designed for reviving and weatherproofing hiking boots. It makes the leather vacuum seal in the hydrovac more pliable. That always worked well with the old Jeep I once owned.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Booster is the problem. These Bendix boosters are not really that great. The one one my 58 packard failed in a cloud of white smoke as the brake fluid was sucked out of it into the engine. My 61 Hawk now has none and has never stopped better. You need to send it back to the rebuilder; it ain't right! (Sounds lie a really neat car!)

Leave a comment:

• Bonrobbi
    replied
    Yup, got fluid, bled multiple times, pads adjusted. Drives and stops smoothly with no grabbing or pulling when vacuum line disconnected bypassing booster. Once booster reconnected, poohy, first half of pedal travel nothing and then instant full brake.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X