Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DieselJim
    replied
    Many years ago when I did the change to od, I used a pilot large bushing for a 390 Ford. It fit the crank and the id was right for the T85 input shaft.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Here ya go. This is the pilot bearing. Still trying to decipher my maintenance log entry on the t/o bearing. Its the pilot bearing that is NLA. Every once in awhile, an NOS one turns up in the Packard world, and the seller usually wants a small fortune for it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-4712-NEW-S...VYLHmp&vxp=mtr

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by brngarage View Post
    Thanks Joe. Part number please?
    Oops, I meant to say pilot bearing. Will dig that number up for you. I also replaced the t/o bearing with a modern bearing, but believe my car's t/o carrier had already been turned down about .050", so not sure the t/o bearing I used would work for you.

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    Thanks Joe. Part number please?

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Nope, bell housing alignment is not needed. Also, if you need a t/o bearing, there is a common, available replacement that won't cost an arm and a leg. Its originally for a Toyota alternator IIRC. If you need the part number, I can dig it up for you. Do not listen to anyone who tells you it is unobtainium, so you must pay big $ for theirs.

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    Thanks very much Jack. This is for the car you just made the shifter bracket for.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Not necessary. The Packard bell housing has a flange which locates it.

Make sure you have the flywheel re-surfaced, bolts, pressure plate, disc, fork, throw out bearing, return spring and pilot bearing in hand.

I also prefer the Hurst floor shift conversion.

Jack Vines

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    Thanks Tom. I do have a Packard V8 bell housing, flywheel, clutch, etc..

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    I don't know the answer, but if I were doing it, I'd check it. If Packard had tooled up to maintain concentricy, you'd need a Packard OD bell housing.

Leave a comment:

• Is it necessary to dial indicate the belhousing on a Packard V8

I am in the midst of converting a '56 Golden Hawk from an Ultramatic transmission to a T85 3 speed w/overdrive. I know it is important if not mandatory to dial indicate the bellhousing to the engine when you change these on a Studebaker V8. Is the same true with a Packard V8. Thanks in advance.
Working...
X