Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Tinted Glass??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Tinted Glass??

Looks like I'm going to have to replace my front and back glass seals. The front glass has some heavy scratches in it so I'm thinking about replacing the front glass once I have them both out. I have two questions, how can I tell if I have tinted glass or not (don't want to order the wrong windshield glass) second, do the replacement windshields (SI) fit as well as the original windshields?
    I know I could try and buff the scratches out but if I can't get the scratches out I need to know if the glass is tinted or not if I order a new one. I bought the car with "dealer installed AC???", if that makes a difference??

Thanks,
    Treblig

I'd just look carefully on the windshield itself for an ID, it's probably not an original anyway--it should say brand like PPG and something like "solex" if tinted, usually lower corner of passenger side.. Most any glass shop can get you one locally and install-saves shipping and accidents putting it in-let them worry about it!! Look for the longest in business ones, so they are familiar with old school glass-gasket style windshields, not just the glue in ones. Call around and talk to the owner first--don't use the "install at your home or office guys" it is a two person job to do it right and a robot won't work as the second guy!! Plan to bring the repair manual--if they start scratching their heads at how to install the stainless, drive away-find another shop.

Comment

The dealer installed A/C makes no difference in the glass.
      You can tell which glass you have by looking at it (a wise a-- answer). I also think that it may have "tint" in the lower corner.
      Even if your original windshield is clear, it would probably be a good idea to replace it with tinted since you reside in Texas. Not knowing what car you are referring to from your post, most years offered a tinted windshield alone or all tinted glass.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Treblig View Post
        Looks like I'm going to have to replace my front and back glass seals. The front glass has some heavy scratches in it so I'm thinking about replacing the front glass once I have them both out. I have two questions, how can I tell if I have tinted glass or not (don't want to order the wrong windshield glass) second, do the replacement windshields (SI) fit as well as the original windshields?
        I know I could try and buff the scratches out but if I can't get the scratches out I need to know if the glass is tinted or not if I order a new one. I bought the car with "dealer installed AC???", if that makes a difference??

Thanks,
        Treblig
        Open the door, get in, either hold the door open of roll down the window. Then look through both the edge of the windshield and the open window. If your glass is tinted, you will see a distinct difference. The view through the windshield will appear slightly darker if it is tinted.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I never was much good at telling if glass is tinted by looking through it, unless it's a darker tint. Plus the car (Silver Hawk) is under a large carport so everything looks a little dim with no direct sunlight. But I did go out and look at the glass for any etchings. The driver and passenger door glass said, "Safety Tinted, PPG Duolite". The front glass said, "E-Z-Eye, Safety Plate, A21KT"...I guess E-Z Eye means tinted???.
          It was hard to read but it was there all the time. Now does the newer glass (SI) fit as good as what I currently have??

thanks to everyone.

treblig

Comment

If you cant tell if its tinted or not take a piece of clean white paper and hold it on the back side of the glass if it looks still white looking though the glass its not tinted.

Comment

All you have to do is, look through TWO Windows, like right to Left, if it has Full Factory Green Tint, and you are not Color Blind, it will be very Obvious.

OR, better yet just look for the water mark: "Solex" or E-Z Eye.

As far as Current Mfg. Glass (Windshields) matching anything, it never will.

But, If you bought "Side Glass" from the SASCO Factory Stock at S.I. South Bend, it will be correct NOS.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 11-16-2016, 01:07 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As far as "fit" goes, I have not had any problems with the fit except that the newer glass is thinner then the original. If you have a choice when ordering a new seal, get one for the thinner glass.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The windshield for my '53 came from Phillips. I suspect SI is also getting them from Phillips. I checked with my local installer and was told they would also be ordering it from Phillips. I got the rubber from SI (which was probably made by Valerie Hansen), and the two went together very well.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The new, repro glass fits well. I'd go with tinted glass, front and rear, no matter what it came with. Otherwise, be sure to use sunblock 200, if going for a drive on a sunny day. Talk about green house effect! Clear glass seems to magnify the sun rays.

Comment

So in review:

Is my front windshield the stock thicker glass so that I order the correct seal if I keep the original glass? Can you tell if it's stock by the etching (E -Z - Eye, Safety Plate, A21KT)??

I will get tinted glass if I order a new one with the gasket for the newer glass.

My door glass is definitely tinted.

I plan to reuse my rear glass so does that mean I'll need the gasket for the thicker glass?

I need to place the order soon so the answers to my questions are important.

Thanks,
                      treblig

Comment

Think simple here, no one is going to Buy the Tooling to make TWO Windshield Gaskets, there is only the copy of the Originals, that's IT.

No narrow rubber for the New thin Glass, and Yes you have Original thick Glass.

The difference I am told is so little that the Sealer takes care of the difference without a problem.

If you need verification of that, ask the Mfg. Valerie Hansen, or S.I.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X