No announcement yet.

Upgrading 53 Champions brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with depending on defensive driving to avoid incidents may have worked 40 years ago but in this age of fools and damn fools on the road it's not enough. There's no end to the people that will cut you off or pull out in front of you on the road.

Saying the older technology will suffice may get you by, but for me, I'm putting the best available brakes on mine. I want the tires to leave black rubber on the road when I stand on them.

Your money, your choice. Bob

Comment

You can have brakes off a 747 installed but the friction between the rubber and the road is what really matters.

Comment

Just reading through this and it dawned on me that I have the 11" front drum brakes from a 64 Daytona that I'm replacing with Turner discs.
        Anyone interested in the 11" drum set up, give me a shout. Not sure of the condition of the drums at this point, but another thread pertains to readily available replacements from a Dodge. $100 plus shipping.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          Just reading through this and it dawned on me that I have the 11" front drum brakes from a 64 Daytona that I'm replacing with Turner discs.
          Anyone interested in the 11" drum set up, give me a shout. Not sure of the condition of the drums at this point, but another thread pertains to readily available replacements from a Dodge. $100 plus shipping.
          I believe those 1/2 Ton Dodge 11 Inch Drums were not Front, the center hole size would probably be wrong, they are used for Front Disc. equipped Studes. on the Rear, after machining the depth shallower.

Reproduction 11" Finned Front Hub & Drum Assy's. are available New.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I put Lark era brakes on a '51 Commander I had for several years, including upgrading the rears from 9" to 10" drums. The result was totally worth it! The hardest part was finding drums that could be SAFELY turned.

Comment

Thanks for the info. These drums may be OK, but I'm not sure. Just thought that it would be a cheap way to get better brakes without spending the bucks for discs.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I believe those 1/2 Ton Dodge 11 Inch Drums were not Front, the center hole size would probably be wrong, they are used for Front Disc. equipped Studes. on the Rear, after machining the depth shallower.

Reproduction 11" Finned Front Hub & Drum Assy's. are available New.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
              X