Changing fuel lines 64 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Changing fuel lines 64 GT Hawk

I had my gas tank cleaned last year but still getting crud in my fuel filter. I'm going to change my fuel line over the Thanksgiving weekend. No one I can find has pre bent tubing so has anyone any recommendations or tips that may help this endeavor?

If the lines are like the ones on my '62 it should be relatively simple to make your own from the standard lengths available at most auto stores. You might need a coupler or two or just add a fuel filter or auxiliary electric pump (I have both) along the frame rail for a joint. Best advice would be to get a good tubing bender and perhaps a flaring tool. The ones I have are from Imperial, not cheap, but good quality and work very well.

Comment

I assume that you are referring to the metal line. Before you change that, change all of your fexible (rubber) lines. They are probably breaking down internally and giving you the crud that you observe. When you replace them, you can flush out the metal line to clear out anything that may be in it.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I did that Gary. The only thing I didn't replace was the metal line. Last year I didn't have access to a hoist .

Comment

When I did my Clipper got two lines from NAPA with flared fitting on both ends hardest line to bend and form was from tank to point under frame near point of under rear seat floor cut off end. The other end on my car had factory coupler near steering box from that point back to other line where I installed electric pump to use for easy starts after sitting or when car sits in hot weather. Line follows original bends. I cut old line where I placed fuel pump was able to remove it with out altering the factory bends on the short piece and copied on the replacement part. I used the rubber hose for connections to be able to change filter or pump on the road with out the need to jack up the car and the fuel once the line is primed will allow fuel from tank to pump by gravity
          Attached Files
          Last edited by acolds; 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

If that's a picture of a electric fuel pump you have it way to far from the tank. It should be a close to the tank as you can get it. They can push gas a long way but are not good at pulling it.

Comment

It's gravity feed to that point. there is a brand of steel line that has a green coating outside.it's pliable enough to tie a knot in for more complicated fuel lines, like lark's.Luck Doofus

Comment

I bought a 25' roll of steel line from NAPA for about $10. It is
                easy to bend by hand. Part #641-4002.

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                  It's gravity feed to that point. Luck Doofus
                  No kidding! When I added a similar pump to my frame rail just forward of the rear spring mount I found out just how gravity fed it is there, it'll drain the tank when you cut the line. At least on my GT; it's pickup tube comes out of the bottom of the tank, not from the sender on top.

Comment

The fuel lines that come from upper area of tank using sending unit have tube that goes to lower level of tank to pick up gas.
                    My system does all I wanted it to do also have pump wired so it engages when the super charger high boost is engaged by the switch mounted on throttle

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                      The fuel lines that come from upper area of tank using sending unit have tube that goes to lower level of tank to pick up gas.
                      Yes, they do. The static pressure on the line is different and fuel won't continue to flow thru the line exiting through the top when it's opened unless a siphon is created. The line exiting the bottom works like a bathtub drain. It has the weight of all the gas in the tank pushing it through the line and it won't stop until the tank is empty. Fortunately the engine mounted fuel pump is high enough to counter that so it's not a problem when removing it. Yea, it's crazy

Check where the fuel line exits your tank before opening the line along the frame rail ! Or have some empty gas cans available. Lesson learned here !

Comment

Working...
                      X