License Plate Restoration-who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

Yeah I know what the "law" is in California, so of course I can't actually say that I have old cars with repainted/restored plates - I just refer to them as being expertly waxed and buffed

Repainted/restored plates are perfectly legal in California (original to the car or under the YOM program)...as long as they are DMV "clear".

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

14.100 Year of Manufacture Model Year Date Plates (VC 5004.1)

Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plates are any officially manufactured California license plates issued prior to 1963 that are determined to be legible and serviceable by the DMV. YOM plates may be assigned in lieu of regular license plates to any currently registered 1962 or older year model motor vehicle or trailer of a corresponding model year.

Kit cars of vintage automobiles (a replica of a 1928 vehicle for example) do not qualify for YOM plates. Vehicles with YOM plates have full operating priviledges and are not restricted to participation in historical vehicle activities.

The plates must be supplied by the vehicle owner and authenticated by DMV personnel. Base year plates must have the appropriate year validation sticker attached to the plate to be authenticated as other than the base year (for example, a 1956 plate with a 1958 sticker equals a 1958 plate).

Typically when a state wants to validate the authenticity of a plate, it's because they need to be in it's original state. This also goes to the state making sure the plate is ligible and serviceable. This is similar wording to New York and Massachusetts. But this also gets back to who you draw at the DMV. Othe states, such as Michigan, only require a photo of the plates to be used and there is no such wording under there requirements.

As of July of 2009, the 1963-1969 black plates will also be eligible for the YOM program for cars not using their original plates. These will still require that the plates are cleared.

As for how plates were originally painted, the bases were painted on both sides (unless they are aluminum like Alaska's plates) and then the raised portion was run under a paint roller system. This was all done on a production line, usually by a prison plant. There was a restorer who had one of these rollers, but I think they stopped restoring plates about 5-6 years ago. They were in either Vermont or New Hampshire.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Many thanks to all of you that jumped in with names and suggestions.
        Skip Lackie adequately described the bad plate as having a hole and tears.
        I have no regret other than it appears finding a restorer may take a while.
        I think I'll wait and see if a better set may turn up for 1950 California. One good
        thing about these plates as they have the YOM metal tag with them.
        I appreciate all the help.
        ...Dick Curtis
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp

Many thanks to all of you that jumped in with names and suggestions.
          Skip Lackie adequately described the bad plate as having a hole and tears.
          I have no regret other than it appears finding a restorer may take a while.
          I think I'll wait and see if a better set may turn up for 1950 California. One good
          thing about these plates as they have the YOM metal tag with them.
          I appreciate all the help.
          ...Dick Curtis
          You can use that YOM tag on ANY plate from that era, so don't fret about that. I ran early yellow plates (BBG prefix) on a '62 Hawk with '62 tags and the DMV in CA was hunky dory with it.

This guy isn't cheap, but he did a set of 1930's CA plates for a buddy's Packard and they started out looking WORSE than your "bad" one and they came back to him PERFECT--I think the charge was about $150 for the pair.

http://www.oldlicensefarm.com/services.html

Comment

He He, when I bought my 63 Avanti, (California) it had both front & back plates, blue background, yellow letters. I "wanted" the black background with yellow letters. I repainted the rear plate black with yellow letters, and left the front plate off! Drove that way for 11 years, never got stopped! I still have the plates, one blue/yellow, one black/yellow. The only way to tell if the plate is originally a black/yellow plate is the B/Y plates would be FAX 301, the blue/yellow plates are 301 FAX.
            Most people even the local "federales" would never pick that difference up, and if they do, whoops!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

I have used Darryls in PA twice. Fine quality both times, but the more recent experience included a lengthy delay and inconsistent stories about the reasons for the delays and the eventual shipping dates. I would be reluctant to recommend them without some reservations about delivery reliability at this point.

Info is available on their website: http://www.darrylsplates.com/

I agree with BondoBilly about NY frowning on restored plates, but I encountered no issues registering the plate or using it on the truck. I guess that could change tomorrow......

Regards-
              John Stine
              '46 M5 Pickup
              '63 Lark Sedan

Comment

One of our locals made a fiberglass reproduction of his "good" plate, painted to match and put it on the car. Nobody knew the difference. I happened to ask where he got such a nice pair of plates and was given the scoop!

Brian K. Curtis,
                1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
                1949 1/2 ton pickup
                1963 GT Hawk custom
                1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

California Clear YOM Plates

www.davesclp.com email davesclp@aol.com

I have bought several restored DMV CLEAR sets from Dave
                  he's a class guy - fair price- good quailty and he gurantees the plates clear for like 40 days

I paid $500 for a set of 1951 CA Plates (51's are now going for $800!)

and $350 for a set of 1936 CA Plates

he will be at Turlock vending ---not sure what he is getting for '47 plates which will also require a '50 tab which he has too

if you can handle the sticker shock this is the way to go

John
                  John
                  Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

Dick Curtis, if you see this post, see the new thread I started in the 'General' section and call me tomorrow if you can (the number is listed). Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                    X