Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59,60 Lark Front Fender vs. Champ Truck Front Fender ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Good info Kenneth, interesting about the inner fender/rubber flap. "maybe that is in fact the only difference", at first I thought the actual cut out size/shape for suspension travel was on the inner fenders - maybe not though ?

Originally posted by Stude-Preferred View Post
    Hi, I think the different part numbers have to do with the fender holes or lack of them. The outer fender stamping is the same between a 59-60 Lark and a 60-64 Champ.

When restoring my 1960 Lark in early 2000s, I had the opportunity to buy an NOS Champ front fender assy. from Newman & Altman / Sasco.
    It was the whole fender. A factory jig welded version. Complete with the inner fenders and air intake.

Since I was going for the stripper look, I did not care about the trim holes.
    I wanted a replacement, because the original owner started bumping into things, prior to giving up driving in the mid 1970's.

So what was the difference? I will say the metal stampings were the same.
    The major difference I could find was with the rubber fender apron that seals around the frame.
    The Champ version was abount the size of a mud flap, the Lark version was much smaller.

So the staples holding the Champ flap were removed and a Lark reproduction version was substituted.
    Everything bolted together just fine.

Plus I loved having a factory jig welder unit, without trying to marry inner and outer fenders myself with spot-welds.

Stude-Preferred
    Atlanta, GA

Leave a comment:

• Stude-Preferred
    replied
    Hi, I think the different part numbers have to do with the fender holes or lack of them. The outer fender stamping is the same between a 59-60 Lark and a 60-64 Champ.

When restoring my 1960 Lark in early 2000s, I had the opportunity to buy an NOS Champ front fender assy. from Newman & Altman / Sasco.
    It was the whole fender. A factory jig welded version. Complete with the inner fenders and air intake.

Since I was going for the stripper look, I did not care about the trim holes.
    I wanted a replacement, because the original owner started bumping into things, prior to giving up driving in the mid 1970's.

So what was the difference? I will say the metal stampings were the same.
    The major difference I could find was with the rubber fender apron that seals around the frame.
    The Champ version was about the size of a mud flap, the Lark version was much smaller.

So the staples holding the Champ flap were removed and a Lark reproduction version was substituted.
    Everything bolted together just fine.

Plus I loved having a factory jig welder unit, without trying to marry inner and outer fenders myself with spot-welds.

Stude-Preferred
    Atlanta, GA
    Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 12-04-2016, 06:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    Rich, I hadn't thought about the "Studebaker" and such on the early Larks. were there any plain Jane Larks with out scripts,fleet or what ever ? I do know that the air deflectors shares the same part # between Car and Truck,and the Truck inner fender has a Truck # "I believe I no the reason for that one".
    I am thinking NOT, remember that the '63 Fleet Larks & "Standards" had "Studebaker" scripts at the front of the Front Fender, and '64 Police/H. D. Sedans had the '64 Type "Studebaker" script in the same holes as the Cruiser, Daytona, Commander and Challenger ones.

This is like the discussions we sometimes have about a Part Number change, you KNOW there is a difference, but without the blueprint you have no clue WHAT changed unless you have a side by side comparison or the Blueprint to prove what we otherwise have to GUESS.

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Rich, I hadn't thought about the "Studebaker" and such on the early Larks. were there any plain Jane Larks with out scripts,fleet or what ever ? I do know that the air deflectors shares the same part # between Car and Truck,and the Truck inner fender has a Truck # "I believe I no the reason for that one".

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    No "Studebaker" Nameplate holes as a '59 Lark, no Lark VI or VIII Nameplate Holes as on '60 Larks, just as Doug said.
    Also since Standard Cabs had no body side mouldings, it is possible that those holes were also missing.

However, if there were "other" issues with the fit to the inner fender or front headlight baffles, we cannot be certain without the blueprint that the SNM has.

I doubt it is anything "unfixable".

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    No "Studebaker" Nameplate holes as a '59 Lark, no Lark VI or VIII Nameplate Holes as on '60 Larks, just as Doug said.
    Also since Standard Cabs had no body side mouldings, it is possible that those holes were also missing.

However, if there were "other" issues with the fit to the inner fender or front headlight baffles, we cannot be certain without the blueprint that the SNM has.

I doubt it is anything "unfixable".

Leave a comment:

• doug
    replied
    Can't say with any certainty, different holes drilled for trim and chrome on different models.

Leave a comment:

• 59,60 Lark Front Fender vs. Champ Truck Front Fender ???

Can any one say with (100% certainty) why the 8E Champ Truck Manual shows #1655344 for the Right Front Outer Fender.and 59,60 Lark Manual shows #1331366, #1337314, #1337304 for the Right Front Outer Fender .
Working...
X