Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52-fan
    replied
    Okay, I was sick for a few days and it took a while to get back to the brake/bearing issue. I cleaned the spindle and bearing surfaces and checked them with a vernier caliper. Both checked .750. I then examined the surfaces and could find no irregularities. I then got a worn piece of 320 silicon carbide abrasive paper and polished a little just beyond the threads. The bearing would go further but still stick. I then polished a little on the inside of the bearing and it slid on. There was still a little resistance but the bearing seated fully. The next day Joe did the other side and reinstalled his brake drums.
    I am still not sure why both sides would have this problem, but apparently the clearance was not right.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Howard look up the bearing no's in one of Joes parts books and compare.53 to 55 has same bearing then 56 -66 has same bearing. had this problem on my 53 and dont know how i switched to finned self adjusters! see you in Dec. Doofus

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    I need to check the bearing numbers and take some measurements. I'll report back when I find out something. He thought this would just be a simple swap, but his luck has been running bad mechanically the last few projects.

Leave a comment:

• fastjohnll
    replied
    I have a 55 1/2 ton. I installed a rear end assembly from a V-8 with finned drums-do not remember what year or model it came out of-this was done 30+ years ago. I then installed the front brake assemblies from the same car on my truck. I do not remember if there was an issue with the bearings, but if I remember correctly, it was a fairly easy swap except the spindles are longer but by making the dust caps longer it solved that problem.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Did you call Jim Turner to discuss?

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    something tells me the bearings might be early Commander ???

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Old parts books show several different outer bearings for'55 to '61 dont have 53 up book but they have different bearing from late model IIRC .Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• Bo Markham
    replied
    Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    This is the complete set of 63 parts parts, backing plate out, he just removed from the 57 he was using it on. The disc set-up got its own bearings etc. and he was trying to just transfer the old stuff. I guess I'll have to try it myself to see if he overlooked anything. I thought mybe there was some change we didn't account for.
    I meant there is a difference between 57 and 63-4 T-cab. Since he changed the bearings, It should fit as all three years (55, 56 and 57) mentioned use the same cone/rollers and cups. Curious, very curious? I'd like to know what you find, please?

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
    Big difference between the two. You will have to change out both the inner and outer bearings for the 63 stuff to work. IIRC, you will have to use the complete unit (backing plate included) as 63-4 T-cab used the passenger car brake setup.
    This is the complete set of 63 parts parts, backing plate out, he just removed from the 57 he was using it on. The disc set-up got its own bearings etc. and he was trying to just transfer the old stuff. I guess I'll have to try it myself to see if he overlooked anything. I thought mybe there was some change we didn't account for.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Markham
    replied
    Big difference between the two. You will have to change out both the inner and outer bearings for the 63 stuff to work. IIRC, you will have to use the complete unit (backing plate included) as 63-4 T-cab used the passenger car brake setup.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    started a topic Brakes: Pickup brake swap.

Pickup brake swap.

Joe replaced the 63 T cab front brakes on his 57 Transtar with Turner discs. We have started tinkering with the 56 that has been waiting for several years so he was just going to pop all the 63 parts on to the 56. He thought it was going to be a cake walk, but for some reason the outer bearings would not slide all the way on either side. The "57" actually has a 55 chassis. He thought there must be some difference in the spindles, but his book at work showed the same bearing I.D. for both years. Any ideas?
    I was cleaning and checking the carb and did not get my hands directly on the brake parts. BTW The Champion six is running fine again even though I spotted a few things I want to change/adjust.
Working...
X