VIN decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN decode

I would like to decode my vin number of my 1957 Silver Hawk.
    It is 7I89400. Can anyone help me? I just bought the car and it truly was a barn find. No rot and still has the original 2 tone blue paint on it. I'm wondering how to restore the car so it's worth as much as possible. I wonder if customizing would be worth more than original.

gcarr

The serial number will not tell you anything unless you buy a build sheet from the Studebaker museum that will tell you when and how it was built and equipped. Since I make a full time living buying and selling Studebakers, I'll give you my short and sweet advice on making money on a barn car.

Do as little as possible to the car. Mainly, just clean it up, maybe try and see if you can get the engine loose and running if possible. If you can get it moving and can get "driveway brakes", more the better, then quit and flip the car. If you restore the car , you'll spend 20K or so and be upside down in the car, if you customize it, you'll be buried even deeper. If it's a exceptional barn car that does not need paint, interior and chrome work, you can do more and make it a driver, but it is a slippery slope once you start.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The nicest stock '57 Silver Hawk in the world is probably worth $25-30k or so. To get it to that condition (if you farm out body/paint, upholstery, engine rebuild, chrome and do the rest your self) will cost you $30-$60k.

Customized (or modified) it MAY bring more than a stock one, but that can be a real dice roll. If your taste and craftsmanship isn't up to the level of Roy Brizio or Chip Foose, it is very easy to make the car unattractive to a lot of potential buyers. In any case, a custom or modified car will generally cost far more than a stock one to build. A pro built custom can set you back $75-$200k pretty easily and will bring less than half that when it is sold.

If you intend to keep the car, do it whatever way turns your crank... nice driver to custom show car...but keep in mind that it is a hobby and you will most likely have more in the car than it will be worth.

If you just want to make money on your find, follow JDP's advice.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Gregory; please do not be discouraged by the somewhat dismal values and costs that were presented. JDP and Dick are very familiar with current values and costs and are correct in their assessments, however ALL of us would be happy to have you and your car in our Club and welcome you to join and enjoy your car if you are so inclined. There are local Chapters in Texas that you could join as well.

I sell Studebaker parts to keep these cars running and on the road, and will help you locate any parts you would need to make it run, drive, and stop safely. There are quite a few Studebaker parts still available for these cars as evidenced by the long list of Parts vendors on the studebakervendors.com website.

Welcome to SDC and the Forum!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I can't argue with that, but his question was about making it worth as much as possible, so I assumed he asked to find it's profit potential. If he just wants to make it worth as much as possible, a 50K-70K restoration would do it. I did not intend to suggest that just because he may not make money on a restoration, that it should not be done. The only choice is rather he wantss to do it, or leave it to the next owner, but either way, we're here to help.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

"I would like to decode my vin number of my 1957 Silver Hawk.
            It is 7I89400. Can anyone help me?"

In decoding a number like this I usually start by factoring out prime numbers. Consider both the powers to which they are raised, and the remainders. I get: "SUNOCO".

Silver Hawk serial #'s for 1956 to 1958 were contained within the series of #'s assigned to other models. In 1957, "57H ,(President), models with 289" engine, started with # 7,188,901, for models built in South Bend. I highly recommend purchasing the "build sheet" from the museum, for your car.
            Mike M.

Comment

You have an early 1957 model year Silver Hawk that was built in South Bend, IN. There were 15,318 Silver Hawks made in the 1957 model year. If you want to learn more about the initial car, order the build sheet from the SNM. I can't add to what JDP and Dick S. have stated about cost/value. I have owned more than 50 Studebakers and I still lose money on them.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome aboard Gregory.As you might have noticed by now you will hear plenty of advice on your car.Sift through it and set a goal or a plan of action.Everyone here is more than willing to help you as you work on it.Great bunch of folks here and best of all you have the knowledge of decades of Studebaker ownership and repair at your fingertips.Good luck!
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Yes thank you all for your quick responses. The additional #s on the firewall are 57H- C3 then below is 159. The car does need paint but the body is straight. The seats and interior are totally trashed and need replacing.

gcarr

Comment

57 Golden Hawk: found black manual trans car

Saw your name on the forum and your interest in Golden Hawks. I have one for sale...spread the word if you don't want it.

Here is what I know about the 57 Golden Hawk I found in a barn last week: it was bought from a Pontiac dealer in 1959...so the car I assume had two owners.
                    As you can see, it is a rare black manual trans car...I believe one of just 4 built...I will be shocked if it wasn't originally black.
                    There is a Maryland tag with a '74 sticker...that is the last the car ran.

I have not been under the car.
                    I have not tried to turn the engine over...but the pulley at the supercharger does rotate and the engine dipstick had a little black oil at the bottom.
                    Jay Leno's Stanley Steamer mechanic looked at the car and also deemed it a '#4 car'.
                    The shifter is missing.

Codes I could find are: "1542358 MC 5J6" and "57H K7 1841"...VIN is 6101866.

My intent in the "mass email" was to spark interest in what I believe would be of interest to the Studebaker community. As I told you, I am not brand loyal, but did recently sell a nice 1963 Hawk GT.
                    Last week, I helped Jay Leno's mechanic buy a 1929 Cadillac: I did not expect a finder's fee nor did I ask the seller for anything...I just like to help the cars and their history.
                    That said: "yes", I am trying to flip this car and won't hide that fact.
                    I don't expect an unreasonable fortune, but if Hagerty says a #4 car is 20k, I think that is fair for this one.
                    Help -

From David Long301 302 9634
                    Hagerstown, MD

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1707777

- - - Updated - - -

Saw your name on the forum and your interest in Golden Hawks. I have one for sale...spread the word if you don't want it.

Here is what I know about the 57 Golden Hawk I found in a barn last week: it was bought from a Pontiac dealer in 1959...so the car I assume had two owners.
                    As you can see, it is a rare black manual trans car...I believe one of just 4 built...I will be shocked if it wasn't originally black.
                    There is a Maryland tag with a '74 sticker...that is the last the car ran.

I have not been under the car.
                    I have not tried to turn the engine over...but the pulley at the supercharger does rotate and the engine dipstick had a little black oil at the bottom.
                    Jay Leno's Stanley Steamer mechanic looked at the car and also deemed it a '#4 car'.
                    The shifter is missing.

Codes I could find are: "1542358 MC 5J6" and "57H K7 1841"...VIN is 6101866.

My intent in the "mass email" was to spark interest in what I believe would be of interest to the Studebaker community. As I told you, I am not brand loyal, but did recently sell a nice 1963 Hawk GT.
                    Last week, I helped Jay Leno's mechanic buy a 1929 Cadillac: I did not expect a finder's fee nor did I ask the seller for anything...I just like to help the cars and their history.
                    That said: "yes", I am trying to flip this car and won't hide that fact.
                    I don't expect an unreasonable fortune, but if Hagerty says a #4 car is 20k, I think that is fair for this one.
                    Help -

From David Long301 302 9634
                    Hagerstown, MD

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1707777

Comment

No one on this string was looking for a '57 Golden Hawk, just a Guy wondering what to do with a '57 Silver Hawk Coupe 9 Years ago.

However there are Members here that would pay the unfortunately very low value of cars like this needing serious RUST repair, the real world is more like $8-10,000.00 which would be the HIGH limit for a Car needing everything like the posters on this string said of a good solid bodied Car.
                      StudeRich

Comment

ooppps thought this was new

Comment

Just purchased a beautiful 1952 Land cruiser. In very good original shape and plan to keep that way. The problem is while loading car on wrecker I paid him (please no lectures needed). I still believe him when he says he is looking for title. Car had Texas plates what were so old they do not appear anymore. The serial number on door does not appear either. the car has a dealer advertising plate from long gone dealer on trunk. I can get a bonded title, but what is that. Does a bonded give me complete and undeniable ownership of car.
                          Can some tell me please it is a one owner and a v8.. I didn't know Studebaker made a V8 that early.

Thanks
                          Bluecan

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Michael!

FYI: Next time you have a New Topic, it will get more interest if you just use the "+ Post New Thread" button at the Upper Left. It would also have been better in the:
                            "General Studebaker-Specific Discussion Forum".
                            This is a pretty Old unrelated string.

Studebaker's Overhead Valve 232 c.i.d. V8 came out in year model 1951 Commanders, so that made only Olds, Cad., Chrysler and Studebaker that had one in 1951, NO Chevies, Fords or Plymouths.

You need to look harder at the Serial Number plate on the Door Latch Pillar for the engraved Serial Numbers you HAVE to have that to register it and they do not go away.

In many States a Bonded Tile is similar to a "Ownership in Question" like we have here in Wash. where if no one claims the Car in THREE Years you can apply for a Title, but you can Register, Plate and Drive it.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 08-31-2017, 06:58 PM.
                            StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                            X