X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-she
    replied
    Originally posted by Kato View Post
    OK thanks, that is what I thought but a previous post had me wondering.
    Hi Kato, any news about your problem...i've a 56 Sky Hawk and have the same trouble ,at first time i've seen oïl leaks at the rear right engine ( passenger side) and i thought it was my valve cover gasket so i replaced them but early this year when i ve done my oïl change , i've a problem with oïl lever , in fact i drain oïl, change my oïl filter and add new 20w50 oïl , start the engine and checked level but it was very very low and two days later i checked it again and now it was ok ; last month i've done a long trip to UK and when i came back home i've lot of oïl leaks front and in rear valley cover ....
    So yesterday , i've removed my oïl breather tube with my oïl filter and clean all...oïl filter flexible....draft tube....but it was the same problem , no leaks when i start the engine but when i checked my oïl lever it was very low again....Today i check it again and now it's good.
    Maybe 10w30 oïl is a solution...
    Thanks for your Help

Leave a comment:

• Kato
    replied
    Originally posted by WCP View Post
    That cap appears to be correct, as it allows full venting above the engine vent tube.
    OK thanks, that is what I thought but a previous post had me wondering.

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    That cap appears to be correct, as it allows full venting above the engine vent tube.

Leave a comment:

• Kato
    replied
    I started this thread last fall and I am just about to change the valley cover to an OEM cover to hopefully address this oil consumption issue. As mentioned by Mike in post #49 I have looked at the cap on my car and here is a pic of it.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5802.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1713922 The parts manual shows a cap for 61S 61V 62S and 62V. As stated earlier my car came with the high flow 63 289 without any PCV, vented rocker covers and with a road draft tube. Is this the right cap for this configuration? On the parts list they show a cap for 63V and 64V and at the bottom of the page it says "not used sealed positive crankcase ventilation" So my car has a 63 style high flow 289 without positive crankcase ventilation so should I be using cap #1558193 or #1558580? Can anyone tell if I have the first or second one by the pic? Thanks.

Oil caps 2.pdf

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    The parts book will note the changeover for early to late configuration. If your engine serial number is after that point then it is a late '62 engine. Otherwise, it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• Kato
    replied
    Kato, I was referring to the "central stack". Your engine appears to be correct for a late model '62 V8, assuming that the stack hasn't been modified, as questioned in post #49 by Mike.
    OK thanks, that's what I thought. Doesn't appear to be modified in any way and it is the original engine. Thanks..

Leave a comment:

• Kato
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike View Post
    The breather cap on the stack where you pour oil in may be the restricted type intended for use with PCV. Look inside, next to the spring clip that holds it in place. The restricted type has only two 3/16" holes to breath through; even though it has a full set of large holes around the rim. You may have to turn the clip to see the small holes up inside, if it's turned out of place.
    With the restricted breather, a blow by tube, and no baffle in the valley cover; you might get oil blown out. There also should be a baffle in the oil fill stack, which just pushes in.
    Mike M.
    Great info, thanks. I'll look at all of that.

Leave a comment:

• Kato
    replied
    Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
    Do you have a production order for your car? Since you mentioned it's a full-flow with the spin on oil filter, either the production order or the engine serial number should give a good idea of the actual dates and then the parts book listings with special attention to the change notes might get you to the right combination.
    Yes I do, I'll look into that, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    Kato, I was referring to the "central stack". Your engine appears to be correct for a late model '62 V8, assuming that the stack hasn't been modified, as questioned in post #49 by Mike.

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    The breather cap on the stack where you pour oil in may be the restricted type intended for use with PCV. Look inside, next to the spring clip that holds it in place. The restricted type has only two 3/16" holes to breath through; even though it has a full set of large holes around the rim. You may have to turn the clip to see the small holes up inside, if it's turned out of place.
    With the restricted breather, a blow by tube, and no baffle in the valley cover; you might get oil blown out. There also should be a baffle in the oil fill stack, which just pushes in.
    Mike M.
    Last edited by Mike; 10-27-2016, 03:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    Originally posted by Kato View Post
    This is the original engine so is there a way with the engine serial # to determine it's original set up? I bought the car with the finned valley and rocker covers and the rocker covers are not vented. I would assume the previous owner would have bought the finned covers that matched what was on the car originally but who knows!
    Do you have a production order for your car? Since you mentioned it's a full-flow with the spin on oil filter, either the production order or the engine serial number should give a good idea of the actual dates and then the parts book listings with special attention to the change notes might get you to the right combination.

Leave a comment:

• Kato
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Here is what a '63 looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59283[/ATTACH]

The Picture number 0102-22 is the Adapter to the Lifter Cover with a 3/8" Elbow welded on the side, that fits a 3/8" I.D. short PCV Hose to the PCV Valve, 2 more short Hoses and an 3/8" Elbow complete it to the base of the Carb.

0102-21 is the PCV Valve.
    Thanks, this will help if I do the conversion.

Leave a comment:

• Kato
    replied
    Late model '62 V8 engines did not have the vented valve covers and did have the draft tube even though they did have the full-flow filters. They did have the vent cap in front of the valley cover where the earlier series had the inverted filter. If someone has removed the forward vent assembly and replaced it with a block-off plate, then that could be the source of your problem.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080457.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1709715 Are you referring to the tube through which the oil is added with the vented cap in the picture here or should there be another vent?

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    Late model '62 V8 engines did not have the vented valve covers and did have the draft tube even though they did have the full-flow filters. They did have the vent cap in front of the valley cover where the earlier series had the inverted filter. If someone has removed the forward vent assembly and replaced it with a block-off plate, then that could be the source of your problem.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Here is what a '63 looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	'63 6 and 8 PCV.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1709597

The Picture number 0102-22 is the Adapter to the Lifter Cover with a 3/8" Elbow welded on the side, that fits a 3/8" I.D. short PCV Hose to the PCV Valve, 2 more short Hoses and an 3/8" Elbow complete it to the base of the Carb.

0102-21 is the PCV Valve.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-22-2016, 10:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X