Ray Fox-Daytona Beach, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Fox-Daytona Beach, FL

1950's/1960's NASCAR Champion master engine builder and race team owner, Ray Fox passed away peacefully Sunday afternoon, June 15th at the age of 98. Ray moved to Daytona Beach from New Hampshire in 1947. For several years following his relocation, he was the chief mechanic for Kyker Studebaker Sales in Daytona Beach. He transferred from Kyker Studebaker to Fish Carburetor which lead to his becoming involved in stock car racing full time. His last NASCAR Cup Level race was at Charlotte in the fall of 1974. His drivers in NASCAR included Junior Johnson, David Pearson, Buddy Baker, Cale Yarborough and others. He then became an engine inspector for NASCAR until he reached the age of 80.
    I was privileged to pilot the # 3 1961 Pontiac replica that Ray built in 2003 for 250 laps at the Darlington Historic Race Fest, Darlington, SC in 2010 and 2011 and to a win in the Daytona Antique Automobile Vintage Series at Orlando Speed World in November 2011. You will be missed. Thank you and rest in peace Ray.
    Last edited by trnstrtrk; 06-18-2014, 12:48 PM.
    sigpicBob Coolidge
    DeLand, FL

I had the privilege of knowing Ray Fox through an introduction by Bob Coolidge a few years ago. He truly was a legend in racing. I'm pleased to have a signed copy of his book, Ray Fox - Sly in the stock car forest, written by Godwin Kelly. It's a very interesting read. RIP Ray.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Wow, Bob; 98 years of age! Boy, did he see (and make!) a lot of history.

RIP, Ray. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was lucky to have been able to hang around the shop when it was on the
        Seabreeze traffic circle , here in DB , because I knew a couple of the guys
        that worked there.
        Interesting that Smokey's shop was visible across the water flats from there .
        Bill H
        Daytona Beach
        SDC member since 1970
        Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Working...
        X