John Spillett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Spillett

We recently learned of the passing of former Studebaker of Canada employee, John Spillett, who left us on October 13th 2013 at the age of 87. John joined Studebaker when the Canadian plant opened in 1948 and was Superintendent of the Manufacturing Night Shift when we closed in March 1966. He contributed a number of articles to Turning Wheels and was an Honorary Member of both the Hamilton and Ontario Chapters, as well as being a long time member of SDC.

Stu Chapman

John was a gentleman (as were so many of the Hamilton employees, like sales manager Tom Pride who passed away in the very early '90's, and as is Jack Holden - still with us) and he will be missed. He was proud to have been part of Studebaker of Canada - again, as are many former Hamilton plant employees.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

'Sorry to hear of this, Stu, and that it took so long to "make" the SDC News Cycle. I had corresponded with John several times as well; 'always an enthusiastic Studebaker guy.

You said he was Supt. of the Manufacturing Night Shift at the end. Was assembly actually running a night shift at the end...or how recently had they done so? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        'Sorry to hear of this, Stu, and that it took so long to "make" the SDC News Cycle. I had corresponded with John several times as well; 'always an enthusiastic Studebaker guy.

You said he was Supt. of the Manufacturing Night Shift at the end. Was assembly actually running a night shift at the end...or how recently had they done so? BP
        Bob, we weren't running a night shift at the end and I don't recall exactly when we stopped it. When I was looking for John's exact responsibility I contacted Studebaker veteran Jack Holden who advised that position was the last one John held.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
        X