No announcement yet.

William "Bondo Billy" Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never met him personally but talked to him on the phone several times. He made the emblems for me for my "mini hawk" (for which he would NOT accept payment) and my custom designed jacket (that he said was a "prototype" ) I always considered him a friend ! Just wished I could have met him.
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Comment

Tough to hear this. As others, I never met him. However, through the forum and ads, I knew he was a great person.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I am deeply saddened to hear of Bill's death. I am one of the fortunate ones that can say I know him and he is my friend. Bill was a gentleman, through and through. I saw Ellen at the NE zone meet just a few days ago. Ellen, my deepest condolences.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

When I first joined this forum Billy was one of the first guys to welcome me. He was a gentleman and a first-class human being... I'm sorry he's left us.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

So sorry to learn of Bill's passing. My condolences to Ellen. The Glass family have been true supporters of the Studebaker fraternity and Bill will be missed very much.
            Stu Chapman

Comment

My heart and prayers go out to Ellen. Over the years I had the pleasure of talking and working with Bill many times. Back in the early days of the SDC Forum and we came up with the t-shirt and button idea, Bill was very aware that it would be at least a break even or more likely a losing proposition for him. Nonetheless, Bill did not hesitate a second and declared that he was all-in on promoting the new forum. I know of many other instances where his support of the SDC was above and beyond. He was, without a doubt, a friend and invaluable contributor to the hobby, the club and all of us.

There may have been others in the past and certainly there will be someone else in the future that will use the name...but for us who knew him there will forever be only one BONDOBILLY.
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

My heart is broken. I have known Bill almost since the beginning of my involvement with Studebakers. We did a lot of business, and we had a lot of fun. I chided him many times about putting those damn cigarettes down, but he would not. At least he lasted long enough to see his daughter get married.

My heartfelt condolences to Ellen and family.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That news makes me so sad. He was a really good guy. I'll have his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

My condolences to Ellen and family. It is especially hard when someone younger dies, but I see more of that all the time (of course).

I knew Bill for many years. I will think of him when I wear a shirt purchased from him, as I did a couple of days ago.

My most recent dealing with Bill had nothing to do with Studebakers. I had a pair of good seats for a New York play that we were not planning on using. I sent them to Bill (after asking if they were interested). It turns out that the lead actor was one of Bill's favorities and he said that they enjoyed the play very much.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am not certain that I ever met Bill, but it is clear to me that lost a great guy.

My condolences go out to his Family and all who knew him.
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have a good picture of Bill and Ellen buried in my vault somewhere; just haven't found it.
                        You can see him in the background in the hoodie, and at least part of Ellen in this shot from Reedsville, 2009.

Here he is at York, bottom left, in league with as notorious a gang of miscreants as you will find.

And the "Hawk from Hell", his never ending nemesis, next to Shrock's "Tommyhawk" in this shot.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That guy standing directly behind and above Billy is pretty sharp looking.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Found this on Google image search...

http://www.studegarage.com/images/ot...lass&ellen.jpg

Here's a pic from Reedsville 2004 I found on Google search...
                            Bill, Ellen, Ray Ficthorne, George Rorbach, and another idjit.

http://www.studegarage.com/IMAGES/re...at_corkins.jpg

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 08-15-2013, 07:06 PM.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Found this one on the Google search, too....
                              Don't know the details, or accuracy...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

'Nice pictures in #28, Jeff; thanks. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X