Dorothy M. Dyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorothy M. Dyer

Dorothy M. Dyer of Fishkill, NY, a decades long member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, died on July 18, 2012. She, her husband and son, both surviving, were all active in SDC locally (Hudson Valley Chapter).

We will be attending the calling hours later today.

Dorothy really liked a white 1964 Avanti that I had. By the time that she convinced her husband to buy it, I had already sold it to someone else. Instead, they bought a white 1959 Lark VIII hardtop from me. It was a car that I bought when the original owner stopped driving. I sold it to the Dyers, probably in the 1980s, with 27K miles on it. They did some work on it, mostly detailing, and had it painted. They still have it. The last that I knew, it had 3XK miles on it. Every year, her husband, Bob, says that he is going to sell it back to me. I say okay and then another year passes.

Enough on the car. Dorothy was a very nice lady. I never heard one bad thing about her. She is to be entombed in the same mausoleum that we purchased spaces in.
    Last edited by studegary; 07-20-2012, 12:09 PM. Reason: missing n
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

When we went to the calling hours, I wore a Studebaker shirt to honor our connection to the Dyer family. On the way out, the funeral home door man stopped me. He was about my age. He started to talk to me about Studebakers. It turned out that he owned a 1956 Golden Hawk back in the day. His was automatic and he had a friend with one with standard shift. After that, he got mainly into Corvettes. We also discused that funeral home's Studebaker hearse (1937, IIRC) [covered in other posts here].

EDIT: The 1959 Lark VIII hardtop now has 47K miles on it. It is getting hard for Bob to drive it without power steering and power brakes. His son, also Bob, is talking about adding power steering to the car.
    Last edited by studegary; 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
    X