Marv Silverstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marv Silverstein

I have just received word from Fran Silverstein, Marv's Wife, that Marv passed away from his 20 year battle with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Marv was an officer in SDC in the early years, the proprietor of New Era Toys that crafted Studebaker toys as well as other makes, and, a good friend. He was a true craftsman. Fran asked that if any Studebaker people that remember Marv are interested, she is having a 'Life Celebration' on Saturday December 11, 2010 at the house from 2PM - 6PM and are welcome to attend. Marv did not want a funeral and his body was donated to science. He wanted a party with food, drink, laughs, and lots of stories about him. The address is 230 Thrush Circle, New Hope PA. That sounds like Marv. He was quite a guy! stupak

I also knew Marv very well during the early years. My prayers are with him and his family!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Marv and I had a lot of fun together in the 1970s going to shows and events, dealing in cars and parts and hanging out at Contemporary Classics. He came up with some unusual Studebakers like a 1953 Champion Starliner with leather seats that came up to this area from NJ and my 1957 Golden Hawk that I owned for nine years.

I last saw Marv one year at Hershey when he spotted me and called me over to show me some things and to chat.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks "Uncle" Marv!

In 1970 at age 15 I might have been the youngest member of SDC. My first after school job was at a sporting goods and toy store in Chatham N.J. that Marv managed. He was very involved in SDC at the time serving as Regional Director and then as Zone Coordinator. All the local kids flocked to the store and were so charmed by this man that to us he became "Uncle Marv". He didn't smoke, he didn't drink but (and) we all thought he was so cool! As I look back now I realise that it wasn't about what he drove or what he wore or his hip mustache and sideburns but that this man had great integrity and was a font of loving kindness. His warm nature belied the fact that he was unhappy in his marriage and his job. He was, however, to find a new partner to share his joy in life with in his second wife Fran as well as some stepkids in the bargain. He also found his niche as creator of a business that suited him perfectly, "New Era Toys", primarily restoring and trading in old toy cars and trucks. And he relocated to a town that must have matched his energy very well, New Hope Pennsylvania.
        When I met him he used to drive a cherry '54 Plymouth to work every day to save his Studebakers. A couple I remember were his two-tone blue '54 Commander 4-door he called "The Blue Lady" and a '54 Starliner HT with a GT interior immortalized on a popular SDC poster I now have on my garage wall. My first car, which I sold once and bought back and still have is a '52 Studey that Marv named "Elsie" or L.C., short for Land Cruiser and that he sold me in 1972 for what he had into it - $400. I took my coming-of-age adventure in it, driving it from New Jersey to the national meet in Colorado Springs in '73 and it appears in a picture with Marv in the August '94 Turning Wheels issue on 1952 models.
        Recently, with the advent of social networking internet sites like facebook, I have been reconnecting with friends from "past lives" but sadly, I was unsuccessful in my attempts to reconnect with Marv in time to share stories from the past 35 years. I'll always remember him and his easy smile though and I count him as a true soul buddy and role model for heart consciousness. Thanks Uncle Marv!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Peter Braun Life member of SDC Current owner of a '52 Land Cruiser, past owner of many others
        email at ganeshadas@hotmail.com
        Last edited by omstude; 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM. Reason: add personal info

Comment

Working...
        X