Fred Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Cook

My good friend Fred Cook passed away on June 27th.

Many of you know Fred or have traded parts with him. He was an enthusiastic "truck guy". He had a unique stable of old trucks including a Republic, a Brockway, and an FWD.

His Studebaker project was a "phantom" Commander powered M5 pickup...a truck Fred thought Studebaker SHOULD HAVE made. His was being constructed using and M16 cab (with the indented firewall to accept the Commander motor) and a floor shifted T86 with overdrive that Gord Richmond recently put together for him.

Fred loved most the camaraderie that came with the old truck hobby. It was one of his many ways of meeting new friends. Anybody that met Fred or that even corresponded with him was a friend for life. He was that kind of guy.

Fred was a kind, generous, upbeat, and interesting man. He was just fun to be around. I will miss him terribly.

Dick Steinkamp
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Sorry to hear that, Dick. Had he been ill, or did this come up suddenly and unexpectedly?

'Hope he got far enough along on that Commander-powered M5 that someone will be able to finish it as Fred would have liked. It sounds like an interesting piece. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dang, I was sure glad to see Fred again in Az. Had hope to get to his place latter this year. I will miss him. He was a great friend.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Sorry to hear that, Dick. Had he been ill, or did this come up suddenly and unexpectedly?

'Hope he got far enough along on that Commander-powered M5 that someone will be able to finish it as Fred would have liked. It sounds like an interesting piece. BP
        Fred had a history of heart trouble, but I think we all thought he would just keep dodging the bullets. I spoke with him on the phone Thursday evening and he was his usual chipper self, but he experienced another heart attack on Friday that was just too much for him.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by railway View Post
          Dang, I was sure glad to see Fred again in Az. Had hope to get to his place latter this year. I will miss him. He was a great friend.
          Ebon,
          I'll always remember the Spokane International Meet. The three of us...you, Fred and I...bunked at my Aunt and Uncle's place while they were in Alaska. We sure had fun!
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sad news indeed. Fred will certainly be missed. One of the nicest gentlemen you could ever hope to meet.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I talked to Fred in Glendale and sure glad now I did, he looked good and sounded even better that day, we had a short talk about Studebakers in general and how he felt, one never knows, I could name about 10 people I would rather see go than Fred, but that is life, you will be missed Fred...Bob
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I add my condolences as well. I never met Mr. Cook, and it's clear I missed out. Once again reminds us of what's important and what isn't.

Does anyone have a picture of Mr. Cook to post?
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                X