Art Rust Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art Rust Jr.

Art Rust Jr. died in New York at the age of 82 after a long struggle with Parkinson's disease. Art was 82 years old. Art was a sportscaster (ABC) and an author.

Art bought a new 1963 Avanti, R1, AT. I thought that it was ironic that someone named Rust would buy a Studebaker with a body that wouldn't rust. Art had the Avanti repainted brown, sort of a dark chocolate brown.

I purchased the Avanti from Art in the early 1970s. When I purchased the Avanti from Art it was running terrible and emitting large quantities of black smoke even though he had spent a lot on tune ups. It turned out that the air filter appeared to be original and was nearly blocked. After putting a new air filter element in the Avanti and adjusting the carb., the Avanti ran great.

Under the seat of the Avanti was a new JETS "license" plate. A friend wanted it to give to his girlfriend. The friend had a Studebaker tow truck that used to belong to the local Studebaker dealer. The truck had an original "Studebaker 100000 mile club plate" on it. The friend wouldn't sell the plate, but he did trade me for the Jets plate. I have never seen another of those original 100000 mile club plates. The reproduction plates, that are still available, were made as copies of my original. I checked with many of the big time Studebaker collectors in SDC and none had one of these original plates. One was even in line for mine if I came across another (never did).

At one show, I had that Avanti, 1963 Daytona Wagonaire, 1963 Zip Van and 1953 Commander Starliner. That was a lot of ferrying of cars for Cathy and me. I sold Art's Avanti to a guy from Virginia.

Sorry, but these Studebaker stories lead from one thing to another for me.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
Working...
X