No announcement yet.

Larry Swanson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like permission to use Bob, Duane, and Susan's words here in it, also.

If I'm the "Bob" to which you refer, Peter, you certainly have my permission to use my writing in Post #13. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Due to the late receipt of his passing, We will run a short piece in April's issue of Turning Wheels with a request for members to send their memories of Larry to our editor, Ann Turner. In a later edition (June) we will print a tribute to Larry and include the memories of our members in that issue.

In my humble opinion Larry touched every facet of the SDC and was an instrumental part of the club for a very long time. May he rest in peace and the Lord be with his family. As Bob Palma said his Obituary was very short and really not informative. If you have past issues of TW, find the 07/2012 issue and read more about Larry. It is also available on the back issue flash drive as well
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The following is from Bill Mitchell via email from India:

Questions I sent Bill:
          When did you meet Larry?
          What sparked Larry's interest in Studebaker?

what no one knows or has any idea.

Does the club realize they have lost one of the founders?

Larry and I attended the Monmouth Methodist Church where his mother played the organ, father sat next to me in the choir. Larry's brother Bob and my brother Dan were best friends and college roommates. Larry's Dad was one of my teachers and his mother and mine sometimes walked to school together. Jean, Larry's mother published religious music and graduated from Monmouth College. She had perfect pitch and Frank Sinatra drove her crazy as he was often off key. Ronald Swanson, Larry's father got behind passing a Monmouth Ordinance that funded the Monmouth Municipal Band where Larry's father played snare drum, the same drum which Larry was still playing in the Studebaker Band which he founded.

Larry had an uncle that was an alcoholic so Larry never had a drink in his life. Larry's grandfather Bert, Angie, McIntyre spent evenings sitting by the Burlington Route tracks watching trains leading to Larry's love of railroads.

Larry loved the 51 Studebaker commander that we all drove delivering pizza for Lou Pavlic owner of the Italian Village in Monmouth. The Studebaker was a stick shift and a hot rod compared to the 49 Plymouth.

Larry Swanson, a better friend could never be found and he managed to find Pat(Patricia Pickens, sister Polly Pickens granddaughter of an Arkansas Senator and a better wife could not have been found.) She painted her car, rebuilt an engine and transmission as well as a motorcycle. Designed electronic engineering items and was selected the U.S. outstanding college microbiology professor before she retired. Larry and his brother Bob were two of the 5 Magna-cum-lade grads in the first class at Northern Illinois Law School. I don't think Larry made much money he enjoyed doing documents for non-profits. Most legal structure for SDC Larry created. It didn't matter Pat and Polly were out on their John Deer tractor planting trees in the land they inherited and they all reached full growth at a time time when wood was in short supply. I bet no one in the club can believe Pat Swanson and her sister were out in the Forrest planting trees. These were not just regular people, they were and are unique and the world needs more like them.

I could write much more, but I'm running out of tears.
          William R. Mitchell
          Sent from AOL Desktop
          In a message dated 3/12/2020 7:27:21 PM India Standard Time,

Comment

We of the Black Hawk Chapter miss Larry and Pat greatly since they moved to Arizona . I always enjoyed Larry's smile. The last 2 or 3 meetings Larry attended he tried to give away a few boxes of magazines, etc. that Pat said they couldn't take with. I took the last box and need to look through it again
            I caught up with Larry and Bill Mitchell on the road a couple times with the Great American Race. Bill would drive a short ways in his 56 Caribbean and/or Larry would get press credentials so he could officially drive his '64 Studebaker convertible for part of the journey.

Comment

20-plus years ago when the Great Race first spent the night in Kirkwood, MO, Larry & his partner pulled in with a failing viscous clutch, and some other malady that escapes me now; mebbe a fuel leak?
              I ended up supplying a replacement (flex) fan & helping with the wrenching.
              Great times with a GREAT man!

Comment

Thanks for the input from Bill Mitchell. He was with Larry, Pat, Cathy and I on a couple of our many ice cream socials, at least one travelling in Bill's Packard Caribbean. Larry did as much or more for SDC than any one other individual, but he was not one of the club's "founders". IIRC, Larry joined about when I did, 1968.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob Palma, you have my permission to use what I have said about Larry that's if I am the Susan you mentioned. Larry was a wonderful, gentle man who was a great mentor.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                  studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
                    Bob Palma, you have my permission to use what I have said about Larry that's if I am the Susan you mentioned. Larry was a wonderful, gentle man who was a great mentor.
                    It was Peter C, for the SDC Remembrances, not Bob P., that was asking permission. I assume that your permission is all the same for this SDC use.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If SDC had a Mt. Rushmore.......Larry would be there.

Comment

SO sad to hear of his passing! I met him at a national meet and made a point of finding him at subsequent meets I attended. I believe the quote, and I'm paraphrasing; The cars brings us together, the friendships keep us together - is attributed to Larry. He was a great guy and our Treasurer of the Greater Seattle Chapter has written a nice piece for our monthly:

Many years ago, when I attended my first International SDC meeting, one of the first faces I met was Larry Swanson. Of course, I had no idea who he was, or how important he was in the club formation. He was simply a warm, friendly face who remembered my name and seemed genuinely happy to have me there. And as the years passed, I was more and more aware of what a remarkable treasure the Studebaker club had in this man. Perhaps I would have been more in awe had he “blown his own horn” a little more, but that was never his way. Quiet, efficient, capable and appreciative of everyone were his trademarks. (He was) a remarkable man, whose life was well lived and whose absence will be missed. May he rest in peace. Greta Justad

Comment

BTW, Would anyone have the Swanson's home address? I'd like to send his wife, Pat, a condolence card. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X