Larry Swanson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Swanson

Received word today that long time SDC member, Larry Swanson has passed. Rest in peace, Larry
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

I am very sorry to hear this; and condolences to his family.

I have known Larry Swanson for close to 40 years, when I first met him at the zone meet in Edmonton.

Craig

Comment

I don't think it can be stressed strongly enough that without Larry Swanson at the helm for many years at Turning Wheels our club would not be as great and large as it is now. He each and every month put out a quality publication that NO Other car club could match. That legacy will be a long standing tribute to Larry Swanson, better than anything I can possibly say.

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

Soo sad to hear. Sincere condolences to his family and loved ones. May he Rest In Peace.

Comment

Very sorry to hear that, Larry was "The Rock" of SDC, always there to help.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Larry probably did more for SDC over the years (mostly for no compensation) than any other individual. He was also a great friend. Rest in peace Larry.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

This is a great loss to SDC and the world. My condolences to Pat. I knew Larry for nearly half a Century. Most of our communication was by mail in those early days, except for our annual dinners and ice cream outings.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am so sorry to learn of Larry's passing. His contributions to SDC have been second to none, forty-three years for me. Rest in peace Larry.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Condolences to his family and friends from Western Canada. This is a big loss for all of us.
                  RIP Larry.
                  Bill & Sonja

Comment

Larry & I go back many years. I have no idea when we first met, but he made a lasting impression on me. When I became Zone Coordinator back in 2000 he reached out to me reminding me that I lived in and now represented (in his opinion) the best Zone in all of SDC. He offered to help me in any way he could. And he meant it! When Leigh Morris decided not to run in 2002, Larry asked me if I was going to run for the position, I told him that I didn't feel comfortable in that position yet as I thought I needed more experience where I was. He said he was interested in running, but if I wanted it, he would yield to me. He ran and was elected and served until the "term limits" came in and I won the election in 2014. Larry was always there with help and advice. He and Pat were at all of the SDC meets until just a few years ago. Lynda and I had a really good chat with him in Tacoma during the SDC meet there & I learned a few more interesting details about the early years of the SDC and some of the things that Larry was involved with. He was SDC membership director from 1972-1976, handled the SDC roster from 1972 - 1980, Was TURNING WHEELS Editor from 1972 - 1992, ran the SDC advertising from 1072 -1982, Was the TURNING WHEELS "club writer" from 1992 - 2008, was the TURNING WHEELS publication Director from 1992 - 2008, and Larry was our SDC copyright and legal advice guy for many years.
                    We owe almost as much honor bestowed on him as Harry Barnes; for they are the people that made this club what it is today.
                    RIP Larry

Comment

So sorry to hear of Larrys passing and also thankful that his suffering is over and he now is in a better place. I didn’t know Larry like some of you but it was great getting the chance to meet him at our SDC International Meets and the UMVZ Meets in the last dozen or so events. He was a true Ambassador of the Studebaker brand.
                      sigpic

Comment

He was an inspiration and mentor to many of us newsletter editors.

Comment

Larry's obituary offers few details:

https://regencymortuary.com/book-of-...nson-Laurence/

The argument could be made that no one person contributed as much to The Studebaker Drivers Club's publications through the years than did Larry Swanson. That is certainly my opinion, having worked with Larry one way or another every year he produced Turning Wheels and guided and encouraged chapter publications.

Communication, especially through print media before the internet (and even now) is the backbone of such a widely-diverse organization as is any worldwide car club. It could thus follow that Larry might well have been the most important person through many years of The Studebaker Drivers Club's existence; certainly one of the most important by any measure.

RIP, Larry, and we know you are. Your professed faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior has certainly reunited you with your (and our!) good friend Ron Hall. Tell Rapid Ronnie we all said "hello;" you guys and countless others are so missed here. All condolences and our best wishes to Pat. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I am so saddened to learn of Larry's passing. He is what made the SDC what it is today. I know that I couldn't have moved into doing What's Happening without the assistance of Larry. He made it so easy for me to take over. He encouraged me all along the way. He kept in touch and often emailed to inquire if I felt that I no longer needed to hear from him. Just his knowledge of all things Studebaker was great for me to rely upon. He will be missed, but, what a legacy he has left the Studebaker world. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                            studenews@outlook.com

Comment

This is one Tribute I was not looking forward to writing for the Remembrance Project.
                              If anyone has a good picture of Larry, maybe at one of the SDC Band practices please forward it to me for the Tribute.
                              I would like permission to use Bob, Duane, and Susan's words here in it, also.
                              Peter C.
                              T442163
                              Crisitel@oit.Rutgers.edu

Comment

Working...
                              X