Larry L. Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry L. Miller

Larry L. Miller, 64 of Gering, Nebraska died Thursdsay, March 2, 2006 at Regional West Medical Center in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, March 6, 2006 at the First United Methodist Church in Gering with Pastor Linda Battello and Dr. Charles Bonds officiating. Internment will be 2:30 p.m. Tuesday March 7, 2006 in Minden, Nebraska Cemetery with Pastor Greg Hall officiating.

Larry was born December 21, 1941 in Campbell, NE to Bernard and Mary S. (Portz) Miller. He was raised on the family farm and attended country school for one year, graduating from Campbell High School in 1959. He worked in Kearney and Hastings before entering the Army National Guard stationed in Ft. Leonardwood, MO.

He was united in marriage to Mary C. Jepson on September 26, 1964 in Minden, NE. They moved to Omaha where he was employed by Skagway Department Store as a shoe buyer. In 1968 they moved to Scottsbluff, NE. Larry retired from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. after 28 years. After retirement, he was employed by Proctor and Gamble in retail services.

Larry was a lifetime member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, having served on the national board of directors, representing the North Central Zone for the past 18 years. He was a member of the local Western Wheels and Conestoga Chapter in the Denver area. He helped organize and was a charter member of the Dakotas Chapter of South Dakota and helped form the newly chartered Wyoming Chapter. He was an active member of the Rollin Oldies Car Club and a member of the Scottsbluff Elks Club.

Larry restored many classic cars over the years, including Studebakers and Packards. His prized cars were a 1938 Packard Limousine and a 1958 Studebaker Packard Hawk. He won numerous awards in local, regional, and national shows.

Larry was an avid supporter of Gering Organized "GO" Baseball and former little league baseball coach. He enjoyed all sports, especially following his daughter's volleyball career at Western Nebraska Community College and the University of Nebraska-Kearney.

He is survived by his wife Mary of Gering; son Brett of Hastings; daughter and son-in-law: Kristin and Todd Gottula of Kearney; brother and sister-in-law: Phil and Shirley Miller of Wahoo, NE; sister and brother-in-law: Bernadine and Jack Anderson of Surf Side Beach, South Carolina; sisters: Rita Koehler of Omaha, NE and Alice Witt of Lathrop, MO and sister-in-law: Betty Shiers of Minden, NE.

He was preceded in death by his parents and mother-in-law and father-in-law: Hazel and Elmer Jepsen.

Larry L. Miller Memorial Fund to benefit the Studebaker National Museum and the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Tributes of sympathy may be left on-line at www.dugankramer.com

Larry was a fine fellow and SDC'er. He will be missed.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Larry was a very dedicated Studebaker man and devoted much time and personal resources to supporting National, Regional and Chapter meets. He was always a great help to me in my job as Zone Coordinator as Larry served on the SDC board for many years and just recently had to resign because of ill health. As recently as a few weeks ago him and his lovely wife Mary signed up to work at the Omaha National Meet, that is real dedication.He will be greatly missed by the Studebaker Family.

Frank J.van Doorn
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have known Larry for many years. I will miss all of the personal, mail and e-mail interfaces that we have had. Larry and I didn't always agree 100%, but Larry always did what he thought was best for SDC and we each knew where the other stood. Larry, Art and I have the longest SDC Director service times. Good bye to a fine gentleman and Studebaker/SDC supporter.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Larry will be missed by many of us. We worked together in the North Central Zone for over 30 years. I'm so happy we had some real quality time in Spokane with Larry and Mary. He was great person.
          Denny Lockmon

Comment

Working...
          X