Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    I have many happy memories of George going back 40 years. I remember him telling me that his expertise in repairing Studebaker watches was self-taught. I also remember well his participation in The Great American Race. We will miss him very much. RIP George.

Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Another close Studebaker Drivers Club friend to whom I was never (locally) close. I can’t recall exactly when, but it was years ago I first met George with his array of watches. At our first encounter, memories of my Grandfather, a watchmaker, came flooding back. My Grandfather died when I was 6 years old, but I have never forgotten his shop, display cases, and the huge roll-top desk. Meeting George rekindled those memories and established a sort of “kinship” of mutual conversational interest between us.

No matter where, near or far, at swap meets and events I’ve attended across the country, I always made it a point to seek out George, catch up on his exploits, acquisitions, and see what he had for sale. Me, being the CASO I am, didn’t buy much, but George always treated me with patience and dignity. I did my best to return the same.
    Even as his health began to decline, he was kind enough to take a couple of my watches and give them a good going over. Now, just as the one I have from my Grandfather, those that were touched by George, will be even more special.
    Rest in peace, George, and prayers and sympathy go out to his family and all the other SDC friends near and far.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    RIP, George.

'Great stories of George and the late Dale McPhearson piloting George's Dictator in The Great American Race back in the day. BP

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    started a topic George Reitenour passing

George Reitenour passing

Received word from a friend that George had passed away on Thursday. If you did not know him he is probably best known for his knowledge of Studebaker watches and his '36 Dictator coupe (he had several Studebakers) that he drove in numerous rallies with his friend and navigator Al Hadley. George is shown at left in the photo below, Al at right. George lived most of his life in Portland, Indiana but had moved to Tennessee after retirement. A very nice story on George and his Dictator is in the May 1995 Turning Wheels. RIP George

Working...
X