Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new car in my garage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A new car in my garage

    A new car in the garage soon.

    After many years of owning a pretty static little group of cars I made a decision this week to make some changes. I listed my 89 Mustang GT Coupe on Craigslist in Rochester and spent the rest of the day answering calls. The second guy to look at it bought it at full price in cash. I would have thought I underpriced it but it was a double in two years. My Wife never liked the Mustang, too loud, too rough riding etc. so it went down the road.

    The same day I sold the GT I bought another red convertible to match my Chevelle. It’ll be in a trailer on its way from Indiana next Tuesday.

    Here’s a u-tube link to the car I bought.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2L1...ature=youtu.be

    I think it a nice little cruiser and can’t wait to get it into my barn. I paid for an inspection but it’s hard not to worry.
    Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

    http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

    (/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

  • #2
    If that's as nice as it shows in the video, you got a nice little roadster. The Reatta was one of the cars considered by Tom Kellogg for the AVX, IIHMFS. A cool, underappreciated car.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

    Comment


    • #3
      Of the three domestic luxe-roadsters of this period (Allante, Reatta and "Chryslerati" TC) the Reatta is by far the most interesting. Enjoy!
      Andy
      62 GT

      Comment


      • #4
        I had an Allante. I loved driving the car but the electronics were mega-troublesome. Also parts were ridiculously expensive. I do miss it sometimes. The Chryslerati was poorly executed IMHO.
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sdude View Post
          I had an Allante. I loved driving the car but the electronics were mega-troublesome. Also parts were ridiculously expensive. I do miss it sometimes. The Chryslerati was poorly executed IMHO.
          The Reatta suffered from many of the same maladies but my research found that the electronics were much improved for the 1990 model year. As an example they simply jettisoned the touch panel for the most part . The hired-gun inspector I engaged spent much time on the electrics and found no concern. I hope when I get it delivered that he's correct.
          M
          Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

          http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

          (/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

          Comment


          • #6
            Before we could even get a Reatta at our dealership, we had to send a technician to college to take a refresher coarse in electronics.. The two day school was at a college along with other people from the electronic industry.. GM wanted the best working on these cars..

            Comment


            • #7
              Worked in Supplier development at Cadillac while developing the Reatta (Yes, Cadillac had parts responsibility). The car was held a year past due release date mainly because of sheet metal. Seems all the tooling for sheet metal was built in Japan, and all the checking fixtures were built by the same company. Then, to compound things, all of the tryout parts had been stamped with "killed" metal, and when the spec metal was used, the springback didn't allow any of the parts to fit. By the way,all the check fixtures were built to the wrong side of metal which also didn't help. Another little thing GM did at the time was to contract all the stampings to an outside contractor while closing Cadillac's in house stamping plant because "GM had too much stamping capability".

              All this being said, the car was really fun to drive. Only drawback we really had was water leaks. Try to park it indoors when it rains. The hardtops were almost as bad leakers as the converts.
              Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BeeJay View Post
                Worked in Supplier development at Cadillac while developing the Reatta (Yes, Cadillac had parts responsibility). The car was held a year past due release date mainly because of sheet metal. Seems all the tooling for sheet metal was built in Japan, and all the checking fixtures were built by the same company. Then, to compound things, all of the tryout parts had been stamped with "killed" metal, and when the spec metal was used, the springback didn't allow any of the parts to fit. By the way,all the check fixtures were built to the wrong side of metal which also didn't help. Another little thing GM did at the time was to contract all the stampings to an outside contractor while closing Cadillac's in house stamping plant because "GM had too much stamping capability".

                All this being said, the car was really fun to drive. Only drawback we really had was water leaks. Try to park it indoors when it rains. The hardtops were almost as bad leakers as the converts.
                YIKES, You're scaring me ! lol-----I recently sold a 63 Vette roadster so I am very aware of "leaks"

                Murray
                Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

                http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

                (/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stall View Post
                  YIKES, You're scaring me ! lol-----I recently sold a 63 Vette roadster so I am very aware of "leaks"

                  Murray
                  My 66 Vette roadster seldom leaked.. Now the 54 Vette roadster was TERRIBLEE !@! The 71 coupe no better..

                  BB
                  Last edited by benaslopoke; 06-01-2016, 01:29 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I had a '69 and a '78 Vette...both would leak. A buddy has a '04 Vette...his leaked. I've concluded water leaks are a no-charge standard feature on Corvettes.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      I had a '69 and a '78 Vette...both would leak. A buddy has a '04 Vette...his leaked. I've concluded water leaks are a no-charge standard feature on Corvettes.
                      I always thought it was just part of the "experience". One or the very perverse joys of owning old cars while others aspire to can't live without it new features like "push-button starting" is that you know its quirks. I know that on my Studebaker if I hit the gas twice I'll flood it while one hit works perfect. I also knew just where to stuff rags on the rare time that it was caught in the rain. BTW, my 46 Dodge Convertible had a push-button starter, lol.

                      Murray
                      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

                      http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

                      (/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X