Chance of a Lifetime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance of a Lifetime

This coming Saturday, I will be helping out the Veterans of Anthem, with the Indianapolis 500 Festival parade. We are taking 12 WWII Veterans to ride in the parade in 6 WWII Jeeps. But, that is NOT the chance I'm speaking of!
    We will also be presenting the 12 Veterans a "Freedom Quilt" made by Judy Brown and her "ensemble" Judy is an Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and was wounded during her deployment.
    I received a call early this afternoon, asking me if I'd like to join 8 pearl Harbor survivors for dinner on Saturday night! WOW! 8 Pearl Harbor survivors! These same men will be at the Indy 500 on "race day" going down the track following the USS Arizona flag, which, I'm sure that the TV stations will not show, so they can make more advertising dollars. I will not be with them at the track, but to sit down with 8 of them at one time. I'm already getting chills running down my back! What an Honor for me to sit with these guys!
    I will post more later after the dinner, and you better bet you rear end that I'll get some photos!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
    ....I received a call early this afternoon, asking me if I'd like to join 8 pearl Harbor survivors for dinner on Saturday night! WOW! 8 Pearl Harbor survivors! These same men will be at the Indy 500 on "race day" going down the track following the USS Arizona flag, which, I'm sure that the TV stations will not show, so they can make more advertising dollars. I will not be with them at the track, but to sit down with 8 of them at one time.....

Jim
    Jim, the admiration and respect you have shown while volunteering to assist these true Heroes is very commendable. It also demonstrates that you have excellent judgement in the company you choose to keep. The fact that you were "Invited" to join in these activities, gives testament that you have truly "earned" their admiration and respect. I can't imagine a higher honor. As combat veteran myself, I salute you. Thank you sir!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That's "way cool," Jim; congratulations. Have a great time and say "thanks" for all of us. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Boy, that's got to be one of the highlights of one's career. You've earned it! Enjoy and bring on the pictures.

Ted & Mary Ann

Comment

That is quite an honor Jim. Will you still talk to me?
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Thank you for all you do. That's a real honor to salute some real heroes!!!

Comment

Well, if NOT for what they did some 70+ years ago, I would not have the Honor to meet them! I got the call today about 6 pm, dinner is all set in Castleton, (NE corner of Indianapolis) 4:30 pm! Which, "should" give us enough time to wrap up with the 500 Festival Parade, and make it to dinner! WOW I am stoked!
              BTW, if anybody watches the Indy 500, be sure to try to catch the pre-race ceremonies, these 8 Pearl Harbor survivors will be following the American Flag, then the USS Arizona flag, then these great 8 men! I would sure hope that they will be riding in style around the 2.5 mile oval!

WOW!

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

A wonderful experience awaits and thanks for all you have done. Most vets, (including myself), remain somewhat active and appreciate the opportunity to do so...

Comment

Jim, A well deserved honor for both them and you. Have fun

Comment

That is absolutely fantastic. Truly a time that you will treasure!

Last year l was "on" the Arizona attending the memorial with a Royal Canadian Navy vet (87 years young). A very moving experience.

Looking forward to hearing about your wonderful experience today.

BTW Noblesville is where l bot my (poor neglected) Studebaker buggy, 26 years ago this fall. Stayed overnite at the Hampton Inn in Castleton.
                    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                    X