Why is it so hard to give stuff away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it so hard to give stuff away?

I've been a member of Freecycle for a few years. It's a chance to give stuff away before tossing it in the trash.

I've almost given up hope on it, because so many want stuff I offer, but never show up to take it.

Now I have threats when I report no shows. I am done.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Once my dad and I were taking down an old, decrepit barn. There was a fair amount of usable wood for someone but my dad just wanted to get it down so the area could be repurposed. He put an ad in the local classifieds (long before the internet) that the wood was free for anyone who was willing to come and get it and remove it themselves. He received a phone call from someone who asked if he delivered it! He was so mad...he'll give something away but he wasn't about to provide the labor to remove it and then deliver it for free!

As it turned out, we couldn't find enough parking area for everyone that showed wanting free stuff.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

First time I ever heard of "freecycle." I have picked up a few free things on craigslist, but have learned to be very careful about that. There are some nasty people who prank others with craigslist ads. Just this past week, there was an ad requesting someone to drop off free pallets, or scrap wood, at a certain address. The ad stated to not bother to knock, because no one would be home. Just dump the wood and pallets beside the driveway, was the instructions.

I refuse to deal with anyone who offers anything free, or for sale for that matter, unless they post pictures and will communicate with me. Otherwise, you may unwittingly participate with someone else perpetrating a cruel joke on someone.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ron, don't throw your Champ truck into the trash.......I'll take it
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

There is a service in a lot of cities called "everything but the house" they come in inventory everything, price it, take it to their warehouse and put it on the net in an auction. We could not believe what people purchased and the amount they paid. This was for stuff we tried to give away and couldn't fine anyone to take it. We got over $6000 for stuff we were going to trash with no hassle for us. My daughter sold two saddles for over $700 each when she couldn't get $100 in a used tack shop. People go nuts on auctions so don't give it away find a company like this it's easy, works and you get rid of the junk you don't want. Then you can get more Studebaker stuff!

Comment

A few weeks ago my neighbor (movie prop guy) shows up in my driveway with a box load of parts. He says they are small greenhouses (metal frame/vinyl cover about $85-$100 new). Turns out he has five frames and only two vinyl covers. I wrote up a Free ad for Craiglist, posted it and started to carry the extra frames to the curb. I was about 25 feet from the curb when someone visiting across the street saw me, asked if they were free, and took most of the extra frames. I mean he never read the ad and I never even got them to the curb and they were - gone. He didn't take all of them (not wanting to be greedy). But, within 90 minutes someone else showed up and took the rest.

On the other hand I've seen people who basically want you to clean up their yard for they truly are offering only trash. But, yes, it is frustrating when people say they are coming and then don't.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              Once my dad and I were taking down an old, decrepit barn. There was a fair amount of usable wood for someone but my dad just wanted to get it down so the area could be repurposed. He put an ad in the local classifieds (long before the internet) that the wood was free for anyone who was willing to come and get it and remove it themselves. He received a phone call from someone who asked if he delivered it! He was so mad...he'll give something away but he wasn't about to provide the labor to remove it and then deliver it for free!

As it turned out, we couldn't find enough parking area for everyone that showed wanting free stuff.
              I had sort of the same experience when trying to give away a decent and comfortable sofa bed (except that I didn't have to worry about parking for zero cars). Two different people responded to my "freebee ad" in the local paper and wanted me to deliver. The sofabed eventually went in to the 15-yard dumpster I rented for disposal of junk around the place.
              By the way, old barn lumber is very sought after. There are always several ads in want ad type papers promising good money for old barns.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Bedding, and used furniture is something I've always been leery of. Who knows what kind of creepy crawlers you could drag home from some infested home? Sometimes, what you thought was a real bargain...can bite you in the end!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

We live on a somewhat busy street. Anything we think folks might be able to use we set out on the curb. 98% of the time it disappears promptly. Occasionally folks come to the door and ask if its ok to take it.

We say we're leaving it out for the trash fairies.

I stop and take other folks trash from time to time too.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                  X