Old Video Games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Video Games...

Anyone else here still play the older generation of video games. I still use a Nintendo and Super Nintendo (My Sister-in-law's) regularly. My wife and I love playing on the Super against each other. I have started to teach my daughter the joy of playing Tetris and Dr. Mario. She loves it. I have recently started playing Playstation 1 and Xbox games as well. There is something about these systems that makes them so much more enjoyable than the newer ones. Simpler maybe? I am yet to try out Atari or Intellivision as I never played those growing up.

I am currently working my way through Super Mario Bros 3.

So any other old gamers here?

Anyone have any old games collecting dust that you want to pass along? Let me know!
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Does Mattel Football count?

Craig

Comment

A few years ago my teenage son was getting a bit carried away on the Xbox so I told him if I caught him playing again I was going to punish him. Sure enough I caught him and as punishment I hooked up my old Atari 2600 and made him play that. I figured that would do the trick but as it turns out I couldn't tear him away from it, so I gave in and we both sat there and played it all night. Good times.

Comment

I was going through cemo treatments several years ago and with the energy level being as low as it was, I discovered our kids atari games and spent many, many days playing EXPLORER, still have all the games, may drag them out now. LOL

Johnny

Comment

I still have my Mattel Intellivision console. Made from 1980-1984. I hook it up every so often.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I don't have any video games...I was big on hands on stuff. I still have my Aurora Model Motoring HO scale slot car set and my Tyco HO train set. All date from the early to mid 1960's. I think kids today don't know what they're missing. They may be whizzes on a computer but don't know what pleasure and sense of accomplishment comes with making something with your hands like modeling or r/c airplanes built from balsa or model rockets.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Does playing pong on my Commadore count?

Comment

#1 Pong
                #2 PacMan
                Air hockey
                Foosball
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Bought a 1:32 scale slot car set for the grand nephews (5 & 7) to play with at Uncle Dick's house. We're up to 8 different cars, some going back ~ 25 years. Can't tear them away from it and the 7 year-old challenges everyone. He gets mad when we use the non-magnet old cars and I slide him off the track on corners by drifting into him. Hey, it's how I learned over 50 years ago. We can grow old, but we never grow up.
                  Last edited by dleroux; 03-22-2016, 07:59 PM.
                  "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                  R.W. Emerson

Comment

Still have that old Atari (Pitfall Harry, Dungeon), and an old Commodore 64, and a Vic20.
                    Even had an old Sinclair that I learned BASIC on.
                    Broke my heart to sell that faithful Amiga (dual co-processors with a HUGE 1 meg ram expansion chip)...
                    Yeah... Have the stuff, but don't play with it any more...

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I played Tetris on my flip-phone a half hour ago!

Some techie bought my old Atari and 15-20 game cartridges at our garage sale.
                      I wonder if he had as much fun with it as we had with his $250.

Because so many of the classic games have a simple premise (fit things together, solve a puzzle, calculate the angle of a shot) that gets more difficult, they are, in a way, more connected to basic brain function instead of theatrics. I think that's also why they are so satisfying.
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

My kids loved the Monteverdi game system I got them back in the late 60s/early 70s because it involved shooting (electronically). A month or so ago I found the set in the barn. Don't know if it still works or can even be hooked up to modern TVs.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
                          A few years ago my teenage son was getting a bit carried away on the Xbox so I told him if I caught him playing again I was going to punish him. Sure enough I caught him and as punishment I hooked up my old Atari 2600 and made him play that. I figured that would do the trick but as it turns out I couldn't tear him away from it, so I gave in and we both sat there and played it all night. Good times.
                          That's awesome! Solid memory there.

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                          I still have my Mattel Intellivision console. Made from 1980-1984. I hook it up every so often.
                          Very cool! what games do you play on it?

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                          Definitely!

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                          Because so many of the classic games have a simple premise (fit things together, solve a puzzle, calculate the angle of a shot) that gets more difficult, they are, in a way, more connected to basic brain function instead of theatrics. I think that's also why they are so satisfying.
                          Never really thought about it that way. Excellent point.

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                          My kids loved the Monteverdi game system I got them back in the late 60s/early 70s because it involved shooting (electronically). A month or so ago I found the set in the barn. Don't know if it still works or can even be hooked up to modern TVs.
                          I'm sure that there is a way to hook it up! Just would take some trial and error most likely.
                          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Working...
                          X