Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incredible Hummingbird pics-rarely seen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible Hummingbird pics-rarely seen.

Lots to entertain here. Click on BLUE highlighted script for further detailed pics. Also when you have lots of spare time, go to the end and CLICK ON Antarctica, South Georgia and Falkland Island script for lots more.

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/hummingbirds/nest/

Enjoy,
    Bill

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing. Most of the hummingbirds at my feeder in season are ruby-throated. They are territorial and are constantly at war over who gets to dine. On a busy day they empty the feeder which is attached to the window with a suction cup. As long as I don't move I can watch them from a very close position. Like all of God's creatures they are amazing.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I too enjoyed the pics. It's Ruby Throated hummingbirds here as well. What is funny to watch where I live, is that there is a huge black and yellow hornet in our region. Looks like a giant yellow jacket.
      Apparently, they like a drink of sugar water about as much as the hummingbirds. It is amazing to watch them battle over the feeder. The hornets will chase the hummingbirds, but the little critters are so quick that I've never seen the bee nail the bird.

This photographer also has photos of a pair of House Finches that built a nest in a wreath on his front door. Around here, we have a similar bird called a "House Sparrow." Already, I have torn five nest from the wreath on our door. I hated to undo their hard work, but last year, I let them build, thinking they would be "cute," to watch through the glass storm door the wreath is attached to. But, to our horror, those little cute birds are filthy. Unlike, Blue Birds, the House Sparrows slather bird droppings everywhere! Bird droppings running down your nice white framed storm door, and the glass is very unsightly.

For years, I have built and placed Blue Bird houses around my property. Blue Birds take the droppings from their offspring in their beaks, fly from the nest, and drop the little waste nuggets far away from their nest. I suppose it not only keeps the area clean, but minimizes odor that could attract predators. If the House Sparrows were that neat, I would gladly let them stay.

I felt bad having to remove the sparrow's nest. However, the little buggers are very tenacious. Each time I removed a nest, they would have another almost completed in one day. Finally, I asked my wife if she had one of those little make-up cases that women carry in their purse. Sure 'nuff, she had one she no longer used. After removing the latest nest, I placed that tiny mirror where they were building the nest. After about a day and a half of fighting the birds they saw in the mirror, they finally gave up and quit building in our wreath. Later, I found a nest in my man cave. It is on the inside of a spare fender hanging from the rafters.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
      X