US Currency exchange rate with Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Currency exchange rate with Canada

I never thought I'd be ecstatic about our exchange rate being 30% to your US Dollar (yesterday's rate) but early January it hit almost 50% (by the time the bank takes their cut from both ends) which clearly negated new parts purchases for Colette the Clipper in Arizona. That equates to parts you pay $100.00 for, cost us Canadians almost $150.00! Not fair to those of us hobbyists. Things are looking promising for continuation of her restoration this fall. I'll keep you posted.
    Cheers, Bill

I'm glad our Canadian friends currency is doing better.

Its nice to have a little bump on the exchange when there on vacation but when you all need to buy something from the us it is a bad deal!

I always enjoy visiting Canada.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

No so long ago, the Canadian dollar was virtually equal to the U.S. dollar. Hopefully the Canadian dollar will return to a more equal status.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Maybe we should be buying cars out of Canada!
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
          Maybe we should be buying cars out of Canada!
          You can get some great deals on used cars/trucks but you need to know that the OEM factory warranties generally don't transfer back across the boarder. But dang, are there some screaming deals.
          , ,

Comment

Lots of Canadian visitors didn't come to snowbird heaven here this year. Lots.
            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
            https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

paintim613 I concur as we winter north of you just above Lake Havasu City in Topock, AZ. Ours was about the only BC plates around and only a few Alberta ones as well. I guess most went to Mexico instead of taking the American hit on the buck.
              Bill

Comment

Lots of Ontario cars here in Florida - maybe not as many as previous years but still lots.

Comment

I talked to a friend from Canada last week in Palm Springs about this very topic. I indicated that I couldn't see how friends like him and his wife could afford to winter in the US. He indicated that the lower price of fuel and heating and fresh produce went a long way to making up the difference in the exchange rate. He also indicated that shopping was so much better with so many more choices and better quality available in the US. Reducing the trade barriers has also increased the amount that Canadians can take back, duty free.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                    He also indicated that shopping was so much better with so many more choices and better quality available in the US. Reducing the trade barriers has also increased the amount that Canadians can take back, duty free.
                    Which explains why the Costco in Bellingham is/was one of the busiest of that chain's stores in North America.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X