Street Racing Tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Racing Tragedy

Many of us car enthusiasts are often into performance. Then something rather sobering happens. Early Saturday morning I was on my way to my monthly computer swapmeet. The local news radio (KNX) reported a traffic slowdown from a Los Angeles area street racing accident earlier that night. Not too long afterwards a car going about 90 MPH zipped by, no turn signals and darting about the lanes like he was driving in a video game. I just shook my head and pondered that driving like that was likely the cause of the earlier accident the radio reported.

When I got home there was an email from a friend of mine. A UPS driver that was a victim of the earlier street racing accident turned out to be the brother of a guy I hung out with in high school. What made the story sadder was that he had recently moved to the UPS night shift so he could help take care of his mother during the day. So, just a reminder that though we love cars and performance, we also have the responsibility that goes with that desire.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...FlowFB_LABrand
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

At least they used the proper name 'Illegal Street Racing'...

A sad commentary on the younger generation, who are fed a buttload of TV crap the likes of 'Street Outlaws'.
    I do hope they catch the other guy, and I do hope they are prosecuted criminally and in civil suits.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I wonder if the TV show "Street Outlaws" (I think that is the name of it), plays any role in encouraging this kind of reckless behavior?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

No wondering for me.

Comment

Reminds me of an "Suspense" radio show with William Holden playing a police detective searching for street racers who caused a fatal accident on the Bay Bridge. Think name of car club was "The Jolly High Riders" or something like that.
          Show aired in 1950 or so.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Of course it does!
            Hobert J. Shy
            21103 Harriet
            Romulus, MI 48174

Comment

They should really not be allowed to have a show glamorizing illegal racing on streets.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                I wonder if the TV show "Street Outlaws" (I think that is the name of it), plays any role in encouraging this kind of reckless behavior?
                How about Video Games?

Kids don't even have to be driving age to practice virtual 'wreckless driving'. One can bet they'll carry some of these aggressions learned from behind a computer to a real vehicle when they get their driver's licence.

Craig

Comment

Surely the influence of any broadcast TV show would be minimal compared to the huge following of fans of the Fast and Furious movies, which are totally about glamourizing the illegal street racing of the principal characters. I don't think the death of Paul Walker has put much of a damper on that. I do think the emphasis on drifting has moved more toward on-track events, simply because drifting does not lend itself very well to the street.

Even Top Gear has had some high speed driving on public roads, but not on crowded city streets where it is really dangerous. For those who may not know, Top Gear is returning this summer with a new staff, including Sabine Schmitz- and if you don't know who Sabine is, you are not watching Youtube enough.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/wat...everybody.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc
                  Last edited by 48skyliner; 03-21-2016, 07:42 AM.
                  Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                  See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

She has 'racer eyes'...

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                    <snip>
                    Top Gear is returning this summer with a new staff, including Sabine Schmitz- and if you don't know who Sabine is, you are not watching Youtube enough.
                    <snip>

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I agree.
                      And also blame parents for letting the xbox (et al) raise their children....

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      How about Video Games?

Kids don't even have to be driving age to practice virtual 'wreckless driving'. One can bet they'll carry some of these aggressions learned from behind a computer to a real vehicle when they get their driver's licence.

Craig

Jeff

Comment

I think you guys have a short memory. I grew up in the 50s and that was all we did on a 5 mile straight a few miles out of town. It was just that our cars weren't as healthy as they are now.
                        Klif
                        55 Speedster/Street Machine
                        63 Avanti R2
                        64 Convertible R1

Comment

Yeah, and we didn't have the highway patrol shut down a section of road, and have all night lighting from the rental center, and have amulances and paramedics on standby... and hide it all to give the impression it was all illegal and 'outlaw'..... Just for 'the look'...

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                          I think you guys have a short memory. I grew up in the 50s and that was all we did on a 5 mile straight a few miles out of town. It was just that our cars weren't as healthy as they are now.
                          Klif

Jeff

Comment

How about all the folks on this forum who get their backs/hackles up when someone suggests that "spirited driving" might be endangering others?

Should we look at ourselves just a bit?
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                              Klif
                              That was after 11 PM when there was almost NO other traffic (as in potential innocent victims like the UPS driver) was on the road. And when you saw oncoming headlights, whether it was the cops or not, you immediately shut down your racing operation until they went by.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X