A coach for StudeDave57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A coach for StudeDave57

This one's for Dave! Though a waste of a rare GMC PD-4501.

Last edited by rockne10; 02-22-2016, 11:47 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Yup. That would be PD-4501-536 from Ohio.
    She survives, but she doesn't look quite that good anymore...

As for the conversion, well- worse things have happened to PD-4501s~

That is NOT photoshopped.
    Here's proof~
    https://www.google.com/search?q=peac...er+bus&imgrc=_

StudeDave '57
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Those Greyhound ScenicCruisers were a Raymond Loewy design. Somewhere around here I have a book on them.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I like the idea of using a BMW Isetta as a "garaged inside" car. With the front opening door, you can get in and out easily and it doesn't use up that much space inside.
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          Those Greyhound ScenicCruisers were a Raymond Loewy design.
          He actually held the patent on the two-level coach, along with Orville Caesar.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

I remember when those Greyhound buses were on the road. They were very distinctive. I always wanted to ride on one for the heck of it day but never did.
            Last edited by Mikado282; 02-23-2016, 11:39 PM.

Comment

As a kid rode one from Flagstaff to Phoenix in 1964, by myself after spending some time at Great Aunt and Uncle's place in Flagstaff. Climbing out of the Verde Valley did take sometime to get to the top then downhill.

Times have changed. When is the last time anyone you know " took the bus and left the driving to us"? For me it was 20 years ago when I was driving a 48 Land Cruiser and developed a problem, had to leave it in Boron and caught the bus there to Phoenix. All night rough trip and got back to Tucson 6am. When back next weekend with tow dolly and truck to pick up the Land Cruiser. Timing issue fixed once I got home.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ
              Home of Lazarus

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                As a kid rode one from Flagstaff to Phoenix
                Got your fix...on Route 66?

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

I did get my kicks on Route 66. The bus station at the time was right on Route 66. The main road is still there but I-40 has taken all the traffic out of town unless you want to rubber neck.

The road to Phoenix was called the Black Canyon Highway; now known as I-17. It used to be a 2 lane mountain road. I can remember several bad accidents on the road as we went from Phoenix and Flag, especially when it had been rainy and several rock slides. Again how times have changed. Mom was taking us to Camp Verde to visit her sister when our 50 Plymouth broke down. She left my older sister and me in the back seat and hitched a ride into Camp Verde and came back and got us. Dad traded the Plymouth on a new 56 Commander and we never had any more car problems.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ
                  Home of Lazarus

Comment

In 1962, I rode a Greyhound double decker from New York City to Brunswick, GA. Looking back....Yahhhhhh! 24 hours of bump and grind... (I-95 was not even thought of yet) and 3-4 stops as I recall ( Washington, Richmond, Raleigh?). Meeting some strange people... (I was 18)... Then the real surprise was that strange odor, when I got off the bus in Brunswick... (double yahhhh!) :-))
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

It was 1961 I was 10 got on the gray dog in New Bedford Mass. with mom and my two older brothers road all the way to Sacramento CA. some were Scenic Cruisers most weren't it took a week or more. I don't ride buses any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X