Studebaker diversifies into "Booze" !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker diversifies into "Booze" !

While purchasing some "maker-Mark" for friends i noticed a couple of Studebaker brands. A Canadian company named Studebaker now sell Studebaker-Manhattans and Old-Fashions at 60 proff.

The label makes note that during prohobition Canada furnished many quality whiskeys to the US. After due thought I concluded that they probably no longer sneak it across Lake Ontario in small, fast boats.

Of course I couldn't resist buying one of each for entertaing my car-club buddies.
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

I'll have to look for those.

Here's another post about them

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=Manhattan

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
      While purchasing some "maker-Mark" for friends i noticed a couple of Studebaker brands. A Canadian company named Studebaker now sell Studebaker-Manhattans and Old-Fashions at 60 proff.

The label makes note that during prohobition Canada furnished many quality whiskeys to the US. After due thought I concluded that they probably no longer sneak it across Lake Ontario in small, fast boats.

Of course I couldn't resist buying one of each for entertaing my car-club buddies.
      Excellent post, We may not agree on Bourbon's, JD Black here, but total agreement on how neat these are. https://www.studebakercocktails.com/products-2 Bob

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post

Seeing this post with the word "Booze" in it caught my attention.
        I spent 43 years ( same length of time I've owned a Studebaker and been a member of SDC ) in the Alcoholic Beverage Business, as a supplier/manufacturer and as the owner of a wholesale distribution company. In those 43 years I've never sold or consumed any "Booze". That word never has a positive connotation. It always has a derogatory inflection. Was there malice on the part of the poster in using that word...........I doubt it. But none the less, I take exception to the use of the word when referring to how I made my living. I'll get off my soap box now.
        Regarding the Studebaker brands that are being produced. They are made by Diageo, the largest supplier/manufacturer in the world. Smirnoff, Capt. Morgan, Crown Royal, Tanqueray, Johnnie Walker , Guinness Beer, to name but a few their brands. The largest but by no means the smartest. I know first hand as I was a Diageo Distributor prior to selling the wholesale business and retiring. The introduction of these brands has been at best a failure. The marketing comes from 20 and 30 year old's that have earned prestigious degrees, but lack real world experience, and miss the obvious.The obvious in this case, is the SDC and its publication "Turning Wheels". An audience of 12,000 plus that rate very high as potential buyers and users of the Studebaker Brand. A year long full color, full page ad in "Turning Wheels", is a no brainer and the cost of such is parking meter money to Diageo, in a brand introduction.
        Now, how do you obtain these brands if you do not see them on the shelf where you purchase alcohol? I'm going to speak in general terms about how you do this. There are exceptions. If you reside in what is known in the industry as a "Control State", Ohio, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, North Carolina, Michigan, etc.,.......there are 18 such Control States as I recall, it will be difficult, as these two brands will more than likely, will not be in the State System. A special order is no doubt possible, but you'll be buying a case (12 bottles) per brand, and it will take awhile .
        If you reside in what is known in the industry as an "Open State" and do not see the Studebaker Brand on the shelf where you purchase alcohol, the process is a little easier.I'd suggest that you go to a local independent retailer or small local chain and ask that they special order a bottle or bottles or you. I have nothing against the large national chains, i.e. Kroger Walgreen's, etc., but I know that their corporate red tape procedures are not friendly to special orders for products that are not "Set Up' in their system. Tell this independent retailer that the Supplier is Diageo and the most likely source is his Smirnoff Distributor. The suggested retail on these brands is $19.99. When you special order bottles, your out the door price is going to be higher. So be prepared for that, and ask what the out the door price will be.
        BTW.........very few consumer know the level of taxation on alcohol. The combined taxes, federal, state and local,on a typical $20.00 750ml of 80 proof spirits is 50%. It is the highest taxed product you purchase.
        John

Comment

Very informative, John.
          Thanks,
          Joe H

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
            BTW.........very few consumer know the level of taxation on alcohol. The combined taxes, federal, state and local,on a typical $20.00 750ml of 80 proof spirits is 50%. It is the highest taxed product you purchase.
            Come to Canada!

Alcohol and tobacco are often called 'sin taxes'.

Alcohol is taxed even more than that here, and tobacco products are taxed even higher!

Craig

Comment

Hello John, I meant no disrespect; in my experience booze has no negative conotations but I will take care in the future.

Your writing on the alcohol industry was very informative and I own shares of Constelation Brands and Diago, thanks for the background info.

Murray

Originally posted by JLB View Post
              Seeing this post with the word "Booze" in it caught my attention.
              I spent 43 years ( same length of time I've owned a Studebaker and been a member of SDC ) in the Alcoholic Beverage Business, as a supplier/manufacturer and as the owner of a wholesale distribution company. In those 43 years I've never sold or consumed any "Booze". That word never has a positive connotation. It always has a derogatory inflection. Was there malice on the part of the poster in using that word...........I doubt it. But none the less, I take exception to the use of the word when referring to how I made my living. I'll get off my soap box now.
              Regarding the Studebaker brands that are being produced. They are made by Diageo, the largest supplier/manufacturer in the world. Smirnoff, Capt. Morgan, Crown Royal, Tanqueray, Johnnie Walker , Guinness Beer, to name but a few their brands. The largest but by no means the smartest. I know first hand as I was a Diageo Distributor prior to selling the wholesale business and retiring. The introduction of these brands has been at best a failure. The marketing comes from 20 and 30 year old's that have earned prestigious degrees, but lack real world experience, and miss the obvious.The obvious in this case, is the SDC and its publication "Turning Wheels". An audience of 12,000 plus that rate very high as potential buyers and users of the Studebaker Brand. A year long full color, full page ad in "Turning Wheels", is a no brainer and the cost of such is parking meter money to Diageo, in a brand introduction.
              Now, how do you obtain these brands if you do not see them on the shelf where you purchase alcohol? I'm going to speak in general terms about how you do this. There are exceptions. If you reside in what is known in the industry as a "Control State", Ohio, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, North Carolina, Michigan, etc.,.......there are 18 such Control States as I recall, it will be difficult, as these two brands will more than likely, will not be in the State System. A special order is no doubt possible, but you'll be buying a case (12 bottles) per brand, and it will take awhile .
              If you reside in what is known in the industry as an "Open State" and do not see the Studebaker Brand on the shelf where you purchase alcohol, the process is a little easier.I'd suggest that you go to a local independent retailer or small local chain and ask that they special order a bottle or bottles or you. I have nothing against the large national chains, i.e. Kroger Walgreen's, etc., but I know that their corporate red tape procedures are not friendly to special orders for products that are not "Set Up' in their system. Tell this independent retailer that the Supplier is Diageo and the most likely source is his Smirnoff Distributor. The suggested retail on these brands is $19.99. When you special order bottles, your out the door price is going to be higher. So be prepared for that, and ask what the out the door price will be.
              John
              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Murry.......watch your Diageo stock. They are selling everything that is not nailed down, trying to make profits. The street talk is that Guinness might be for sale. They got rid of the clowns at the top of the U.S. operation and have switched from Quality to Quantity. Time will tell if these course corrections, will right the ship. If not Ivan Menendez ( sic ) will be updating his resume'.
                Your experience and mine as it relates to the word Booze are very different. It is much the same as telling a newspaper publisher his product is only good for puppy training. Not a positive and would not be well received. You hold Constellation stock, would you use the word Booze when speaking with Robert Sands about the products they produce? If you did it would not be well received........trust me.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X