Passport Car Hauler Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Car Hauler Fire

I used these guys a couple of years ago to move three of my cars from Florida to Texas all arriving in perfect shape. Some not so lucky people here.

http://wkrn.com/2016/02/15/trailer-f...iamson-county/
    Mike
    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Looks like a tire overheated and started burning.

Comment

Yep; either a tire was too low and overheated and caught fire, or a wheel bearing was dry and started cooking everything around it. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

THAT is tragic. That thought occurred to me while my Hawk was being transported. Insurance or not, how would one replace a Hawk...

Comment

When we had our shop we serviced a huge number of our customer's trailers(house, boat, utility etc.). We found a lot of potential issues nipped in the bud because most people just hook up and go without ever thinking of the maintenance factors. I agree with BP's post # 3 as dry bearings were always an issue along with seized brakes, low(poor) tires etc.
          Bill

Comment

I would go with seized brakes, I have seen drivers drive for miles with the brakes sized up and seen them catch fire.

Comment

With the low cost of electronics and wireless systems today you would think that a temp sensor could be placed in the trailer wheel wells and transmit to the drivers cabin for well under $100. Over in my Sunbeam Tiger world a guy had sold his car and in transit to the new owner the transporter caught on fire. It just seems a shame to lose rare, expensive cars this way.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
              X