Any Birders out there ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Birders out there ?

Especially in Southeast. I saw the first purple martin for this year at 7:45 this morning [2-13-16].Anyone in the southeast seen any ? Since I have had no car work an been very limited for 10 months, I have spent a lot more time time watching birds. We had a tornado 5 years ago that destroyed over half the mature forest we had on ten acres. It changed the habitat and I was afraid I would loose a lot of species. But, to my delight, there has been more activity than before. The only bird I haven't seen since has been a hooded warbler. Anyone seen any in the Southeast in the last 5 years ? This fall an winter up to now I have seen more than in several years. Especially at backyard feeder. What's your experience this fall an winter??

Put a bird feeder out here in SW Ohio so our cat could watch , been surprised of all the birds it has pulled in!
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

We've got a Hawk working our neck of the woods (red-tailed, not a silver or golden). Out talking to a neighbor, and the hawk comes swooping over the house roof, startling all 3 of us. He (maybe she) is sure pretty in flight. There are magnificent bald eagles down on the lakes, but this hawk is top of the food chain here.

Comment

My wife and I enjoyed birds for many years. Our high point was a quetzal in Costa Rica several years ago. My seed and suet feeders need replenishment quite often. The usual winter birds feed and the woodpeckers appear year around. It is winter and yet we had a mild spell about ten days ago and there were robins everywhere. I haven't seen them since and don't know if they were going north or south! Any ideas?
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

No spring bird sightings here in DC-Md area. Just the usual winter-overers: several varieties of sparrows, finches, nuthatches, woodpeckers, plus the usual cardinals, blue jays and robins (which now stay all winter). And a resident Cooper's hawk always looking for a meal. Thirty inches of snow a couple of weeks ago, plus some cold weather (going down to close to zero deg F tonight) has kept the migrators down south.
          Last edited by Skip Lackie; 02-14-2016, 10:10 AM.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Champ51 View Post
            but this hawk is top of the food chain here.
            Absolutely. Every morning we walk our dog in a large cemetery, surrounded by woods. The dog especially enjoyed chasing squirrels, of which there were many. Some days he'd run 40 or 50 of them.

Then a pair of red-tailed hawks moved in. Over a period of a few months, they ate all the squirrels. I mean every last one. I once watched one pick a squirrel out of a tree. The squirrel never saw him coming.

I also watched a flock of crows harass one of the hawks, diving at him, squalling and mobbing him. He finally got disgusted and lazily flew off, I think muttering, "!#&*(^% crows".

The hawks have been gone for a couple years now, and a few squirrels have returned.

Comment

We have a lot of osprey and Cooper's hawks around here and lately some eagles have been getting closer to our area. Hopefully they are dining on the nutria, raccoons and skunks that abound here. We have three small Papillon dogs and I worry about them being snacks for the larger birds, I think I'm going to have to take away their doggie door privileges. It probably won't be too long before the eagles decimate the smaller birds of prey or eliminate their food sources.

Comment

For over fifteen years a pair of Peregrine Falcons have been nesting on the fifteenth floor of the Rachael Carson DEP Building in Harrisburg, PA.
                The pair can be followed on a live PA Falcon Cam set up by the PA Dept of Environmental Protection. Best viewing is done in the daytime.

https://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/#

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

What a great Picture,to think some of the things We take for granted - just something of Beauty.

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  For over fifteen years a pair of Peregrine Falcons have been nesting on the fifteenth floor of the Rachael Carson DEP Building in Harrisburg, PA.
                  The pair can be followed on a live PA Falcon Cam set up by the PA Dept of Environmental Protection. Best viewing is done in the daytime.

https://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/#

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

These birds must be near retirement age by now. Unfortunately wild animals have no SS or retirement homes so they just have to go on like they have been doing until they succumb to disease, accident or just plain old age. These falcons mate for life and will not take another if one dies. Talk about fidelity. There is a thriving population in Portland Oregon which is amazing since in 1970 there were none to be found. Today they are found to be nesting on the highest bridges and buildings in the city. They are wonderful to watch in flight.

Comment

With the live cam, those with patience will be able to view the nest (in daylight hours) and see when the eggs appear, the pair as they take turns keeping them warm, the hatching, the nurturing, and the eventual fledgling flights; thence the seasonal abandonment of the nest, only to return next year.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
                        These birds must be near retirement age by now. Unfortunately wild animals have no SS or retirement homes so they just have to go on like they have been doing until they succumb to disease, accident or just plain old age. These falcons mate for life and will not take another if one dies. Talk about fidelity. There is a thriving population in Portland Oregon which is amazing since in 1970 there were none to be found. Today they are found to be nesting on the highest bridges and buildings in the city. They are wonderful to watch in flight.
                        Pale Male, a Red Tail has been nesting at an apartment building by Central Park since 1992. It's believed he was hatched in 1990.

He's on, I think, his fourth mate and doing well at age 26.

Comment

We have quite a few coming to feeder , but don't know my birds , fat blue birds with gold bottom, a lone Dove, woodpeckers , finch , robins , had a hawk grab a squirrel out of yard about 6 weeks ago.
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

We have had a batch of robins working out pasture every other day for weeks.
                            Saw a murmuration of starlings headed north today.
                            Have a large herd of cute green/gold wrens hanging around.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the reports. A lot of bird activity here in the last month.

Comment

Working...
                              X