• Show
Clear All

• I put 'em on but they don't help???

Some peoples kids!!!

Thanks Bob, I needed a good chuckle!
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

They did absolutely nothing for my GrandAm too!
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Is that a front wheel drive car? Sheeesh!
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

True story:

Cop stops along side the road where a guy is putting chains on his Taurus. Cop said, you're putting the chains on the wrong tires.

Fellow said, "My dad always put the chains on the rear wheels, so why would I do it any different?"

Cop said, your dad's cars had RWD, this car has FWD

Comment

In the late 1970's, I saw more than a few Honda Civics with snow tires on the wrong end of the car. This was in an age where one could count all the FWD cars on the market at the time on one hand, and the Civic was about the only high-volume Japanese FWD car on the market. Toyota Corolla and Datsun B210's were still RWD.

Craig

Comment

Some years ago I was in line, waiting my turn at a vehicle emissions station. At that time a dynamometer run up was required to check the cars power range for emissions. The car that was being staged was an early 80's Toyota, the owner of which was a gentleman having some language problems with the young lady who was running the test. I heard her ask the man if the car was a front wheel drive car, but then I was somehow distracted. When I looked back I was at first horrified, and then bemused as car was staged with the front wheel on the rollers, and was about to begin its power run-up. As quickly as I could I was out of the car yelling a the top of my voice to stop, that it was a rear wheel drive car. If looks could kill, the look that the young lady gave the car owner, would have quickly dispatched him. I can't believe that this was the only time this ever happened, nor do I know what the outcome would have been if the test had continued.

Comment

I actually did have a friend who asked me to put some sand bags in the trunk-of her fwd car.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                  Some years ago I was in line, waiting my turn at a vehicle emissions station. At that time a dynamometer run up was required to check the cars power range for emissions. The car that was being staged was an early 80's Toyota, the owner of which was a gentleman having some language problems with the young lady who was running the test. I heard her ask the man if the car was a front wheel drive car, but then I was somehow distracted. When I looked back I was at first horrified, and then bemused as car was staged with the front wheel on the rollers, and was about to begin its power run-up. As quickly as I could I was out of the car yelling a the top of my voice to stop, that it was a rear wheel drive car. If looks could kill, the look that the young lady gave the car owner, would have quickly dispatched him. I can't believe that this was the only time this ever happened, nor do I know what the outcome would have been if the test had continued.
                  I guess I can tell you what would happen. When Maine was starting its dynamometer-based emissions testing program about 25 years ago, it decided to use contractor personnel to actually operate the inspection stations. Their choice of the lowest bidder came back to haunt them when the company hired a bunch of inexperienced kids to staff the stations. The Portland paper had repeated stories of these personnel launching vehicles against the back wall or against other objects because the wrong axle was placed on the rollers. The state ended up cancelling the contract and eventually, killed the whole program.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    I guess I can tell you what would happen. When Maine was starting its dynamometer-based emissions testing program about 25 years ago, it decided to use contractor personnel to actually operate the inspection stations. Their choice of the lowest bidder came back to haunt them when the company hired a bunch of inexperienced kids to staff the stations. The Portland paper had repeated stories of these personnel launching vehicles against the back wall or against other objects because the wrong axle was placed on the rollers. The state ended up cancelling the contract and eventually, killed the whole program.
                    And none of the 'staff kids?'
                    JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by JimsLeadCommander View Post
                      And none of the 'staff kids?'
                      Apparently not -- that would have made the news, too.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Back when our state had those goofy inspections, I would go to my friend's tire store/inspection station, pick up a hand full of stickers, go home and slap them on. I believe someone finally tallied it up and discovered that the cost of administering the program far exceeded revenues collected from the inspection fees, fines, and enforcement.

It was about the time that our inspection program ended, that the major U.S. Automakers began cooperating with organized labor to pack the highway to bankruptcy with cars unworthy of inspection right off the assembly line.

I'm not a big fan of the Prius, but from casual observation, it seems to be the only successful consumer accepted hybrid according to the numbers I see on the road. I wonder how the current fall in fuel prices is impacting the sale of electric and hybrid cars.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          I'm not a big fan of the Prius, but from casual observation, it seems to be the only successful consumer accepted hybrid according to the numbers I see on the road. I wonder how the current fall in fuel prices is impacting the sale of electric and hybrid cars.
                          'Can you spell in the tank, John? I get the Automotive News daily blog and those sales couldn't be more dismal right now. To be expected with $1.50 gas. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If you want a hybrid, then now is the time to buy one...it's happened before. When fuel price are down, sales of SUV's and larger vehicles go up and economy car sales go down. It's cyclical and the trends reverse when fuel prices are high.

My wife drives a plug-in hybrid everyday...she's averaging about 67 mpg gas/electric combined. Instead of gassing up her previous car...an SUV...weekly to the tune of nineteen gallons, we now gas up a 14-gallon tank once a month. The savings continue whether fuel is expensive or low. We've noticed no difference in our electric bill keeping the car plugged in at night.

The grocery stores we shop at give fuel perks at their own gas stations...for every $50 you buy you get 20 cents off every gallon. We tend to buy not only groceries but gift cards for restaurants we eat at, Amazon.com, stores we shop at, airlines, vacation spots, etc. We're going to spend the money anyway so why not get the fuel perks. It's pretty rare we pay any actual money at the pump.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              To be expected with $1.50 gas.
                              That must be nice.
                              Up here we're excited to see it below $2.

Sadly I know other places are still way above that...
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...