Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alert: Plain-Jane Plymouth values going up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alert: Plain-Jane Plymouth values going up!

Be on the lookout for any plain-jane Plymouths lurking out there; they are escalating in value.

Cari and I took a "Black Friday" vacation down to the Ohio River to attend a fun, general, multi-family consignment auction in the Ohio River town of Tell City, Indiana. Among the offerings was this one-local-family-owned 1962 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan:

That is a 2004 license plate on it; the last year it had been registered.

Just as plain as you could ask for: Slant six with straight column three speed. It looked like one repaint in the original 1962 Plymouth Code F: Pale Jade. Most of it would buff up real nice, but there were some blisters on the roof that would require the roof being refinished to make right. No cancerous rust at all and didn't appear to ever have been, but some surface rust blemishes at seams and such. Nothing of any consequence. All the stainless trim along the fender and quarter and hood peaks was dinged up pretty bad.

Almost no options: Fresh-Air heater/defroster, exterior rear-view mirror (with the head broken off) and [old, bias-ply] whitewall tires. That was it; I couldn't find anything else. Radio blank-off plate intact; some original paperwork in glove box. From a local estate with 41,000 purported actual miles and could have been right. I wouldn't bet against it.

They started it up and it ran well. Correct battery hold-down present and accounted for, a big plus that undoubtedly drove up bidding among knowledgeable collectors. 'Didn't have a new battery under it, though, as you might expect. The battery looked plenty old but at least cranked the car long enough to start it without a jump.

Bidding was enthusiastic with several legitimate bidders who didn't start to fall away until it ran over $4,000...but a couple guys held on until it ended at $4,600! You bet it SOLD; the consignor was the nephew of the deceased original owner and if there had been space in the building and he had been a few years younger, he might have turned a few somersaults...I would have!

So heads up out there: Forewarned is forearmed; plain green six/stick 4-doors are bringing big bucks! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob,
    I thought your barn was full?? Where are you going to "stash" this one???

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
      Bob, I thought your barn was full?? Where are you going to "stash" this one??? Jim
      Well it's not mine to stash, Jim....I would have paid perhaps $2,000 for it, and went with cash and my dealer / transport license plate prepared to buy, but $4,600 is well over every dime of retail, in my never-so-humble opinion.

It was an interesting car, though, and had been sold new in Tell City, as verified by warranty book entries in the glove box.

It was a good auction with NO Buyer's Premium, which I hate. Among all the merchandise were some brand new stock remaining from a hardware store that had recently closed. They had hundreds of assorted LED and CFL bulbs and lamps, finally offered for $1 a box, with many boxes containing two bulbs! We bought $20 worth of those....the feeding frenzy was maddening once the price got down to first-come, first served at $1 per box....'you'd think it was Welcoming Night free ice cream at an SDC National Meet! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What's REALLY odd, is that the downsized 1962 is NOT the most desirable year of Plymouth out there!! I could see a 'police package' sedan with a 413 bringing in that amount, but not a basic slant-six like this car.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          What's REALLY odd, is that the downsized 1962 is NOT the most desirable year of Plymouth out there!

I could see a 'police package' sedan with a 413 bringing in that amount, but not a basic slant-six like this car. Craig
          Agreed, Craig, but your vision and mine is apparently clouded! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Painful to think about, but today's $5000 Hobby Car is akin to the $500 "Old Car" back in our day. I think the 61/62 Plymouth's are possibly the ugliest cars ever built. But with that Slant Six, it's likely a few hundred bucks for tires and a brake check, you've got something dependable that dumbfounds young people and it's a rare sight for people who remember them. Survival rate had to be really low, and they weren't good sellers to begin with. Certainly, you'd be the only one at drive-in with one! If you want a real shock, track what 67 Plain Jane Belvidere's are bringing. It would have fetched close to five figures I bet if it was just a few years newer and had the same look as a Road Runner or GTX.

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
              Painful to think about, but today's $5000 Hobby Car is akin to the $500 "Old Car" back in our day. I think the 61/62 Plymouth's are possibly the ugliest cars ever built. But with that Slant Six, it's likely a few hundred bucks for tires and a brake check, you've got something dependable that dumbfounds young people and it's a rare sight for people who remember them. Survival rate had to be really low, and they weren't good sellers to begin with. Certainly, you'd be the only one at drive-in with one! If you want a real shock, track what 67 Plain Jane Belvidere's are bringing. It would have fetched close to five figures I bet if it was just a few years newer and had the same look as a Road Runner or GTX.
              All true, Kevin. Truthfully, this '62 Savoy probably needed little more than new tires to be a fun local cruiser.

I talked to the consignor at length before the sale and he seemed like a nice guy, maybe 60 years old. He was enough of a mechanic that he had gone through the brakes, with new wheel cylinders and master cylinder, since he inherited it from his uncle a few years ago. He also said the original gas tank had rusted through on the top, so he had located and installed an NOS gas tank(!) within the last two years as well. He said he drove it over to the auction house about two weeks ago from Rockport (I think it was), which is about 20 miles away. The coolant was full and clean, as was the oil...and we know those slant sixes are all but indestructable.

He had sent in the original title and had a fresh title back in his name, but it was in the auction office and he "couldn't remember" if they had recorded the miles as 041,XXX - Odometer Actual , which would have been possible if he had insisted and jumped through the right hoops, or if it simply came back Odometer - EXEMPT . So I rather suspect the title reads Odometer - EXEMPT, which is OK but too bad.

So whoever bought it has a firm grip on it, but should be able to enjoy it with few problems. (Personally, I'd put blackwall tires on it. As a CASO, I believe reproduction blackwalls are available for it and would save a few dollars over whitewalls, while maintaining the car's persona.) Not to mention the provenance of having the original battery hold down in place, not all rotted away with a cheap generic replacement, if any at all; an important "plus" if there ever was one!

You can see it advertised among the other items in the full-page ad on Page 143 of the current Indiana Auto-Rv Marketplace section, which is where I saw the information about the auction and asked Cari if she wanted to go. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I think Kevin is trying to say the collector car hobby is getting priced out of the market for those (especially younger ones) trying to enter. As you stated, Bob, even 'undesirable' cars such as this one are selling for ridiculous prices now, which is very unusual as the economy isn't even in the best of shape at present.

Craig

Comment

That looks like a fun car to me. I always liked that off beat design, considering buying one about 1974 here in Lafayette on the (Then) University motors the local (then) vw and mb dealer lot.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    That looks like a fun car to me.
                    True, Tom; especially since it is a column-shift three-speed. Fewer and fewer people have seen / remember those, so it would be fun to have at local cruise-ins.

A fellow here in Brownsburg is the original owner of an unusually-nice, black 1970 Monte Carlo with column-shift three-speed, supposedly one of maybe 130 built that way. He has the original window sticker and all documents to prove he ordered it that way; no dealer in his right mind would stock such an oddity. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

What a great matronly aunt/spinster schoolteacher/thrifty farmer car in what would have been a common color..well that and beige.
                      Hopefully the only options it had were PS, AM radio and heater.

These original nothing fancy 4 doors are popular and owners seem to know it.
                      I covered a Silver auction this summer for Sports Car Market and American Car Collector magazines and he had two: a radio delete 27,000 mile 66 Impala, complete with the original North Dakota dealer sticker. It looked like a two year old used car.
                      At the same auction there was a 65 Ford Galaxie 500 sedan with 35,000 miles in similar condition. It was from a South Dakota farm town and was also 100% original complete with the local gas station give-away: a small clear plastic tray that held a paper oil change reminder which showed an oil change in 1984 at 27,000 miles.
                      The Ford was bid to $4800 and the Chevy to $8800! Both went unsold even at those figures.

If I had the space, I'd take a page from Bob Palma's playbook and buy a nice original basic sedan from each of the "Big 3"...(for those of you who don't know, Bob has a 70s convertible from each).
                      For the price of a so-so Mustang or Chevelle, you could have all three and be the hit of any car show you go to...and in the long run probably have a very good investment.
                      Last edited by JBOYLE; 11-28-2015, 07:45 AM.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

"So heads up out there: Forewarned is forearmed; plain green six/stick 4-doors are bringing big bucks! BP"

I knew that my '64 Plain Jane 4 door Commander was increasing in value. I think within the next ten or fifteen years it may even be worth all that I have invested in it. It is original, green but maybe the automatic may be holding it back. LOL.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Around here a lot of the fifties and sixties four doors are bought up and made into low-riders with hydraulics and super expensive paint jobs. Oh yeah, they also have the little bitty tires and rims.

Comment

I actually had one just the same a few years ago.
                            It wasn't original color thou but for the rest ALL original & could corner well too.
                            The guy who bought it from me painted it light green too, who would have thought...
                            Anyway: very good car & in my opinion the -61 is far more ugly!
                            (Yes, I had a -61 also.)
                            sigpic

Josephine
                            Champion V8
                            4d sedan

Comment

Car 54 where are you?
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                              X