Craigslist hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist hacked

Usually, when I have a computer on, I keep a tab open on the craigslist website just to see what's being offered. Yesterday evening, I began to get a "Problem loading page" error message. This morning, still not able to access the webpage. So, I googled craigslist and discovered that the website had been hacked. They are supposedly fixing the problem, but the fix is not working for me yet. Anyone else?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

No problem for me John, just logged on saw the usual Studes for sale

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
      No problem for me John, just logged on saw the usual Studes for sale

Mark
      I did notice that the google article said that the ISP's would have to "flush" the hacked info from their servers. They said to call your ISP to request that they do that. I'll wait until someone else does that. It isn't that earth shattering to me. However, as I post this, the website is still unavailable from my ISP.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Works here now. I had the same problem last night looking for Kubota parts. That answers why I couldn't get on.

Comment

Same here I have't been able to get craigslist scince last night.

Comment

Hey, I came back in the house and checked the craigslist site again. Finally, at about 3:30 PM, all the error, and unsafe site, messages went away and the website looks normal again. Must have been a pretty serious hack attack.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

At 4:30 PM, I was still unable to check for Avanti and Studebaker listings on CraigsList as I normally do each day.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just tried Craigslist in the Los Angeles area. VERY slow and the screen is "messed up".
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Craigslist itself wasn't hacked (their servers weren't compromised.) Rather it was an attack directed at a domain registrar (the people that sell web addresses) which caused web traffic that was supposed to go to craigslist.org to instead go to a prank site. The difficulty is that address information is automatically shared across the internet, so it takes a while to get all the garbage flushed out of the system. If you're still experiencing trouble, you might send your service provider an email and point them to this article on the craigslist blog. (http://blog.craigslist.org/2014/11/2...st-dns-outage/http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202516

After flushing the cache, restart your browser.

Just wanted to clarify so people wouldn't worry if they'd posted something on craigslist and worried about their contact info being compromised from this event.

Hope this helps.
                  Dave Nevin
                  Corvallis, OR
                  1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                  Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    At 4:30 PM, I was still unable to check for Avanti and Studebaker listings on CraigsList as I normally do each day.
                    This afternoon (11/25) at 2:30 PM, I was again able to access CraigsList normally.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X