No announcement yet.

& while I'm at it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well 345, I'm not a fan of any Volvo after Amazon, PV & P1800, thou I'm happy that you're happy with your car & in my opinion quality equals lifelength, so in keeping what one have & maintaining it I think is the best way for our inviroment.
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Comment

My dad sold me his 1966 Carryall in 1978. It had a 283, 3speed o.d., 4:11 rear end. Pretty much a basic truck. I used that truck to haul my race car, my Ditch Witch, and as every day transportation until I finally sold it in 1995. I think it had between 300k and 350K miles on it when I sold it but not sure because the odometer quit at 140K. The one really annoying habit it had was that it would occasionally hang up the gears on the column shifter. Usually at the most inopportune time when I was crossing an intersection. I always carried a large screwdriver to unstick the shifter arms under the hood. My dad had substituted Mercedes front seats so it had a more comfortable ride.

Comment

Ah, that reminds me that the shifter, floor shift, in mine, that got stuck in 3:rd gear & I had to open the cover on the transmision tunnel & the lid on the gearbox to get it lose. It only happend once. It had Volvo Amazon (from -65 & up) seats, as did many American cars in those days, they're very comfortable & adjustable.
        What was the race car you had?
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
          Well 345, I'm not a fan of any Volvo after Amazon, PV & P1800, thou I'm happy that you're happy with your car & in my opinion quality equals lifelength, so in keeping what one have & maintaining it I think is the best way for our inviroment.
          C'mon Nox, not even a bit of a soft spot for the 140 series? I'd like any good Volvo from a PV to a 140, my two favorites being a 123GT and 142E. cheers, junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Nah, a 140 is to me just a bigger, squarer, top heavier & uglier version of the Amazon. In a two door Amazon I can sit in driver seat & open passanger rear window, it's that much smaller & also way more well ballanced in cornering. In Holland they have rules in classic car racing that no more than 10 Amazons can race because they win over much more expencieve cars; you can do a lot with an old iron Volvo engine, just like a Studebaker engine, & then it's all about ballance...
            & with some less good solutions such as for example the rust trap between shassie & engine/front suspension balk I just keep away from the 140's. I had a 240 once, beside the BaaderMeinhofWagen & the Mazda the worst car I've had, loaded with stuff it didn't need & used the same amount of fuel as a Cadillac but without any power at all.

& yes, I think I've had 18 Amazons(122), 4 PVs(544) & 4 Duetts("210")...

I also worked on the Volvo factory in 1987 doing the 700 series & I just thought it was among the crapiest cars I've ever toushed! At the time I drove a -66 Amazon & most weekends I drove from G√łteborg to Upsala, 500km one way, & I saw a 700 series that had hit a moose... Nothing left above the dashboard hight! I've seen Amazons on scrapyards that has done the same & the windscreen is cracked & a big bump in the front part of the roof. "Go figure"...

At the moment I drive this silly thing:

Click image for larger version  Name:	r3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	1879244
            It's a balloon; big inside & T H I N = absolutly no safty at all.
            So that's me; a grumpy old snob...
            Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-07-2021, 10:14 AM.
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

Ah, that reminds me that the shifter, floor shift, in mine, that got stuck in 3:rd gear & I had to open the cover on the transmision tunnel & the lid on the gearbox to get it lose. It only happend once. It had Volvo Amazon (from -65 & up) seats, as did many American cars in those days, they're very comfortable & adjustable.
              What was the race car you had?
              I was into dirt circle track racing. Myself and two other guys built a 55 Plymouth with an aluminum slant six as my first experience. Later on I ran a 62 Hawk, 62 Lark, 60 Lark and a 68 Plymouth Belvedere. I really didn't have enough money to be very competitive, but I enjoyed it and made a number of friends. I did finish 6th in season points with the 62 Lark. The 55 Plymouth also won a main event and heat race with my friend driving.

Comment

Interesting! Any pictures..? Who doesn't like old racing pictures...
                sigpic

Josephine
                Champion V8
                4d sedan

Comment

Interesting! Any pictures..? Who doesn't like old racing pictures...
                  I have one picture of the 60 Lark but I will have to see if I can get my granddaughter to help me scan it in. I am not too computer competent. I also have a very short video of the Hawk passing a 57 Ford off of turn 4.

Comment

Nice! It wouldn't surprise me if I'm not the only curious one...
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                    X