Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now, Students, when the Battery Hold Down....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, Students, when the Battery Hold Down....

....is in place and you've connected the positive cable, the negative cable should be attached...

'Been doing some major office reorganizing and running across all manner of things not seen for awhile. Forum Historian Craig Parslow doesn't think the above photo has been posted before, so 'thought you'd all enjoy it. I had just turned 24 years of age and was in my third semester teaching auto mechanics.

Those two fellas were good students; I hope their lives continued on a positive trajectory forward from that time as high school freshmen. Anyone who has ever taught school fondly remembers many of their students and wonders how life turned out for them.

I never liked the composition of that photo: I thought we all ought to be looking at the new 302 Ford engine, one way or another. But I remember the photographer telling me to look at the engine and the students to look at me. 'Didn't make that much sense at the time and still doesn't.

"Tech" was Arsenal Technical High School on the near east side of downtown Indianapolis. Obviously, it was so well known by its nickname that the newspaper didn't bother to spell it out. BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 03-15-2013, 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

What is the proper torque for the Battery Hold Down? I cannot find it on Google.

Comment

Love the sideburns.

Where's the beard?
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
        What is the proper torque for the Battery Hold Down? I cannot find it on Google.
        Well, Ed, I doubt that it has ever been published anywhere because wing nuts usually secure the battery and hold-down.

However, in the pursuit of Truth, Justice, and The American Way, I just got out my little inch-pound torque wrench and checked what I felt was the appropriate torque on one of my 1964 Daytona's battery hold-down bolts; one that has a 1/2" hex nut on it, rather than a wing nut.

I would say you should not exceed 8 inch-pounds. Any more than that might damage the battery case. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
          Love the sideburns. Where's the beard?
          Not until 1978, Jim. 'Took a bad fall water skiing and spent two weeks in the hospital in traction.

'Didn't shave during those two weeks and kinda liked the beard, so it stayed. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Well, Ed, I doubt that it has ever been published anywhere because wing nuts usually secure the battery and hold-down.

However, in the pursuit of Truth, Justice, and The American Way, I just got out my little inch-pound torque wrench and checked what I felt was the appropriate torque on one of my 1964 Daytona's battery hold-down bolts; one that has a 1/2" hex nut on it, rather than a wing nut.

I would say you should not exceed 8 inch-pounds. Any more than that might damage the battery case. BP
            Retorqing them made my car run better than it ever has! Who knew??

Comment

From this angle you look kind of like Isaac Asimov.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I thought I had heard the name of that school before. I confirmed with my wife that her grandfather, according to unsubstantiated family stories, went to that school before 1910. However, Arsenal Tech apparently officially started in 1912. Another family history mystery...
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                  I thought I had heard the name of that school before. I confirmed with my wife that her grandfather, according to unsubstantiated family stories, went to that school before 1910. However, Arsenal Tech apparently officially started in 1912. Another family history mystery...
                  Not necessarily, Perry. The place was some type of military-training facility when it was an arsenal for weapons and ammo over 100 years ago, before it became a high school.

It is possible that her grandfather attended "school" there before 1912, but probably not "high school" as we think of it today. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    ....is in place and you've connected the positive cable, the negative cable should be attached...
                    [/B]
                    Now wait a minute BP, you mean you didn't tell them to check to see if this was a negative or positive ground car before attaching the battery cables? Poor kids have probably been confused about that until this very day.......
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      Now wait a minute BP, you mean you didn't tell them to check to see if this was a negative or positive ground car before attaching the battery cables? Poor kids have probably been confused about that until this very day.......

Fortunately, Paul; we had four running engines on stands in the room, and they were all 12-volt, negative ground! 'None of those odd-ball 1955 [only, not 1956!] Packards that were 12-volt, positive ground!

(Come to think of it, can anyone think of any other domestic cars that were 12-volt, positive ground? Offhand, I cannot.)

The most fun I had in that room was at the end of the semester their sophomore year, which is the oldest group I had.

After going through the basics of engine timing and all, the "final exam" was handing groups of four kids the distributor and spark plug wires for one of the engines; each group of four getting a different engine. They had to find TDC on the #1 cylinder, install the distributor correctly, and then connect each spark plug wire to the correct plug, per the firing order, and get the engine to run.

There was a feeling of accomplishment for all when that happened, but I had to choose each group to make sure there was at least one kid in each group who I knew was smart enough to get it done! BP

Comment

Working...
                      X