Identify this car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this car?

A pastor at our church has this photo on his blog. What is it? Jaguar maybe? I can tell it's British, but I stink with identifying British models!

The image is huge, so I'm just going to include a link - click here
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

The driver looks a bit like "The most interesting man in the world" from those Dos Equis commercials.

Comment

Appears to be a Frazer-Nash

Craig

Comment

It looks sort of like the Frazer-Nash, but the wheels lead me to believe it is some kind of a kit car. The headlights look bigger than those on a Frazer-Nash.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Frazer-Nash was VERY popular as a replicar in the 1970's. The tires do give it away.

Craig

Comment

Wheels definitely give it away as a kit

Comment

Hi,

Yeah, I thought it was a kit too when I noticed the little round silver object directly in front of the rear wheel. If I'm not mistaken, that't the outer end of a VW torsion bar suspension member and there's probably been no other car so universally converted to kits than VW bugs.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I was going to say old MG, but too long and big for an MG. There was another Nash-Fiat?? car used for racing on the Hemmings pages a couple of days ago.
                sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Hate to say it guys, but that IS a Fraser Nash. No VW ever had that kind of front suspension or friction shock absorber. Likewise, the wheels and brake drums are right along with the headlight supports.

http://www.frazernash.co.uk/

Terry

Comment

The car in the original post is a VW kit car (you can even see the steering box peaking out in front of the tire). Terry, the photo in post #4 isn't the car in question, check the 'click here' on Jim's original post. Skinny
                    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I sorta thought it might be a kit car from the wheels, but again, I'm horrid at British cars. My wife's grandpa had a 1930-something Jaguar kit car. It had wheels that looked more era-correct than this one though.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to let the pastor know that the Studebaker sleuths solved yet another mystery.

Comment

Not just the wheels but also look at front bumper it looks homemade to me. Of course theres nothing wrong with a kit car but the wheels and front bumper can't be right for the original car.

Comment

it might be a SS Jaguar kit. My neighbor has one. I believe his has a tube chassis and some sort of four cylinder Pintoish motor. I noticed that round thing too thinking maybe it was a VW suspension part, but the bottom of the car in question does not resemble a vw floor pan to me so makes me think it may be one of those tube chassis cars like my neighbors.

it is really an odd choice of wheels. On a lovely like that I would expect some variation of "wire" wheels.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Has to be a kit, the poms didn't make any car that good LOL.
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

There are times when it pays to drain the swamp first or you find yourself up to your a*s in alligators! I obviously didn't do that here and assumed that the actual FN was the car in question. Having now looked at the actual car I agree that it must be a kit car. I'm not sure that it is VW based though. There is an open space behind the driver which would likely eliminate a rear engine. Besides, how many "real" FN's had left hand drive? Few if any I would think.

Here are more photos of the real FN in post #4.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/...c.c.%20Meadows

Terry
                              Last edited by dictator27; 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X