• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrysler "Norseman" lost on the Andrea Doria

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Most people do not believe me when I mention this story. Thanks for sharing; now I have the proof!!!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, it's still there. If you're a good enough diver, you could pay it a visit.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I have known about the Norseman on the Andrea Doria for years.... how could someone not believe?
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Well, it's still there. If you're a good enough diver, you could pay it a visit.

Not much left:

"After 55 years under water, the Andrea Doria has deteriorated greatly. Its upper decks have collapsed over the years. Even if the Norseman had been so tightly secured as to stay in place even as the ship pitched over on its side and sank, it could not possibly have survived the years of exposure to the salt water of the Atlantic. Some reports claim the body was of aluminum. Virgil Exner, Jr. believes it was built of steel. Either way, the body would have corroded long ago. Chances are the car was crumpled as the ship flipped on its starboard side and struck the ocean floor. However, there are a few reports of divers spotting an unusual car within the ship. This, though, is rebutted by professional wreck diver and New Jersey resident, John Moyer, who has made over 100 dives to the Doria
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks "JDP" for that well thought out answer of information.
            JimsLeadCommander

Comment

The way Chryslers of that vintage rusted...even out of seawater...I'd bet not much is left.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If the body was aluminum, it may have lasted long enough for barnacles to save it by covering it.

Comment

The Norseman was steel. All the Chrysler concept cars built by the Ghia Carozzeria were steel. The son of the designer, Virgil Exner has stated it was steel. It was steel.

Comment

JRoberts, what is the source of the wonderful artwork of the Norseman being craned onto the Andrea Doria?

Comment

If my memory is right there was also a Plymouth Concept Station Wagon also on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by StillOutThere View Post
                        JRoberts, what is the source of the wonderful artwork of the Norseman being craned onto the Andrea Doria?
                        I really don't know. I got these images over on the H.A.M.B. Details like you are asking about were not included.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I remember how upset my dad was when the Andrea Doria sank off the coast. He was a member of the crew that installed the Cinemascope theater on the ship. All he spoke about was the magnificent artwork that was all over the ship.
                          He was a member of the projectionists union, local 306, which was a father and son union. Dad's regular job was in the booth at the New York Paramount Theater in Times Square. The building, of course, is still there, but now, a Hard Rock Cafe is on the main floor. The marquee is still being used by Hard Rock.

Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The ship was struck in its starboard side if my memory is correct. Such an impact could very well have ripped the car from its lashings and as it sunk done enough damage to it to make it unrecognizable. I have seen first hand what damage can be done to cars at sea. One sticks in my mind was a ship containing Volvo's that had encountered rough seas, so rough that all the dishes onboard were broken. A computer that was slid down into a case on the wall was thrown out. 9 vehicles were totaled on that voyage and scraped.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Bunch more pictures on the H.A.M.B. It also says someone was working on a replica. I forgot about that diecast model of it.
                              http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...2013&showall=1

Comment

Working...
                              X