Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANY functioning brain cells in GM Marketing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANY functioning brain cells in GM Marketing?

Sometimes, I don't think so:

48-year-old Marc Heitz invests $20,000,000 in a gorgeous, area-correct Chevrolet dealership and becomes Oklahoma's #1 Chevrolet dealer. He moves almost 2,000 new units a year, including #3 in national Corvette sales.

So the marketing geniuses at Chevrolet Division, most of whom I dare say are yet to retail their first used car -much less a new one- to an actual paying customer, tell him he doesn't "comply" and he tells them to stuff it! Geeze, his "outdoorsy" dealership is in Norman OK, for Pete's sake, not downtown Manhattan! And if he isn't doing something right, how is he selling all those cars [and undoubtedly more profitable] trucks?

Bully for Marc; I hope he came out the multi-millionaire he deserves to be!

'Gotta love Marc's closing statement viv-a-vis said marketing geniuses, "My guess is they won't be around to see the results of their actions." You can say that again, Marc...and I wish future generations of U.S. taxpayers weren't on the hook to bear the brunt of their stupidity, either. (I'm all for you sleeping in the bed you make, not the one somebody else makes for you without your consent.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM. Reason: added pic of store
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Amazing article, thanks for sharing Bob!
    sigpic
    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

That made some local news... I was surprised that GM was that myopic, but I guess those monolithic ways of thinking continue to hamstring the company.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
        That made some local news... I was surprised that GM was that myopic, but I guess those monolithic ways of thinking continue to hamstring the company.
        You got that right, Chris; there is no excuse for this manifold stupidity. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

As taxpayers, don't WE now have a say??!?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            As taxpayers, don't WE now have a say??!? Craig
            Uhhhh.....NO!

(Actually, I almost said something about your being a Canadian, Craig, until I remembered that your government, too, has an "investment" in The New Generous Motors!) BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Ayn Rand:

Comment

We did in November.

Of course the government could have allowed GM to fail.....
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Well...we shouldn't really be surprised. GM's advertizing wants to promote their traditions. Problem is...for almost three decades, the tradition they have been building is mediocrity. "Give a little more than you promise," is a slogan that is not something that GM could be accused of even thinking about, let alone using.

Thanks to the decline in the quality of our public education system, continuing decline of average folks with an interest and understanding of "things mechanical," ...the public "herd mentality" allows this stuff to limp along. I have a feeling that today's society would be a very attractive playground for a marketing genus like P.T. Barnum. Couple this with the spoiled Ivy League snobs of today's Government/Corporate "in-crowd who only sees the real country from the lofty altitude of a first-class airline window...and you see the results.

Plenty of brain cells...just focused in the wrong places.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                  We did in November. Of course the government could have allowed GM to fail.....
                  ....or proceed through a normal bankruptcy according to established bankruptcy law like half the airlines seem do every six months...and continue flying nonetheless.

(OK; we probably ought to keep the topic on the questionability of some current General Motors marketing decisions...although, admittedly, realities have made it difficult to keep politics out of those decisions!)

So, back to Chevrolet Division's current marketing wisdom...or lack thereof.

Marc Heitz' situation is big enough that some people at The General really ought to have their bells rung, IMHO: The bad press it garnered can't help anybody in the long run. It just makes no sense to people with common sense who live in the real world out here.

Consider the uniqueness and appeal of Marc's dealership, such that it became a destination in and of itself. Marc Heitz likely knows more about good, effective Chevrolet marketing in and around Norman OK than the entirety of Chevrolet Division's self-anointed brain trust. BP
                  Last edited by BobPalma; 01-05-2013, 06:44 AM. Reason: added further comments about Marc Heitz

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    ....or proceed through a normal bankruptcy according to established bankruptcy law like half the airlines seem do every six months...and continue flying nonetheless.

(OK; we probably ought to keep the topic on the questionability of some current General Motors marketing decisions...although, admittedly, realities have made it difficult to keep politics out of those decisions!)BP

Thanks for saying that, Bob. I didn't as I didn't want to be accused of starting a flame war discussing such esoteric stuff like statutory law, legal precedents and other mundane subjects.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I thought as I read the story about selling the dealership that perhaps there were other reasons he wanted to sell the dealership he preferred not to mention. After all the person who bought it obviously thought there was money to be made with it. I have some friends who are lawyers who say whenever someone says its not the money its the principle of the thing....."Its always the money".

(I don't necessarily agree but I believe it's nearly always the money).

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

(OK; we probably ought to keep the topic on the questionability of some current General Motors marketing decisions...although, admittedly, realities have made it difficult to keep politics out of those decisions!)

So, back to Chevrolet Division's current marketing wisdom...or lack thereof.

Marc Heitz' situation is big enough that some people at The General really ought to have their bells rung, IMHO: The bad press it garnered can't help anybody in the long run. It just makes no sense to people with common sense who live in the real world out here.

Consider the uniqueness and appeal of Marc's dealership, such that it became a destination in and of itself. Marc Heitz likely knows more about good, effective Chevrolet marketing in and around Norman OK than the entirety of Chevrolet Division's self-anointed brain trust. BP

Comment

After all the person who bought it obviously thought there was money to be made with it.
                        Sure. But only after converting the dealerships facade back to bellybutton conformity of the GM hivemind.
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Basic question: Why should GM pay Heitz his $250,000 quarterly dealer-excellence incentive if he chooses to be in not be be part of corporate branding plan to qualify ? Even Studebaker introduced a "Uniform Identity Program" that dealers could chose to adopt or ignore. The dealer chose to make his dealership look like a Bass Pro shop with none of the required Bow tie signage that would have qualified him for the million/year branding plan as is his choice. He instead decided to sell it to someone who agreed to the GM branding plan. If he felt the Bass Pro Shop look was worth more to his bottom line than the GM branding plans million fine, but he has no right to the bonus money without complying.

At Best Buy we get vendor support from Samsung for example. We have to use Samsung supplied displays, only their demo DVD's and the rest. Best Buy could refuse, but if they did, why should they get the extra vendor support for Samsung approved displays without so complying ?.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Sounds like some Washington DC bureacracy rubbed off when GM sold their soul to (the government).

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                              Sounds like some Washington DC bureacracy rubbed off when GM sold their soul to (the government).
                              Like, left on their own GM couldn't make any bonehead decisions?

That's why they needed the bailout!

Comment

Working...
                              X