No announcement yet.

Is it a "bolt" or a "screw"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bolt(noun) is a little short arrow that is shot from a crossbow. Bolt(verb) is what the deer does just as I pull the trigger on the crossbow.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

This is just nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
        And if the lightning strikes the chair you're sitting in, you're screwed.
        And if your Thunderbolt 283 won't start one morning, are you Thunderscrewed?

more on the motor vs. engine debate: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=canadian

Craig

Comment

My unofficial definition:

Screw: Thread sizes smaller than 1/4", ie #10 or #12 or smaller. Requires a screwdriver (flat or phillips) or some type of driver bit (allen, torx, etc), not a wrench to turn.
          Bolt: Thread sizes 1/4" or larger. Requires a socket or wrench to turn.

Either may use nuts so its really the size/tool used that makes the distinction.

Grey area: Bolts with Allen heads or Torx heads. Never saw any of those when I was growing up on the farm. Encountered them much later.

Jeff in ND

Comment

A lag bolt looks just like a larger version of a sheet metal screw. I guess size really does matter.......

Comment

I call either one of them nasty names when they are rusty and snap off trying to remove them.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
              X