Craftsman Air Compressor Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Air Compressor Recall

If you bought a Craftsman air compressor from Sear after 2003, it might be involved in a recall for a potential fire danger.

If you sent in your warrenty card, they'll send you a letter outliningthe models and how to get a repair kit (basically a new shroud).

If you didn't fill out your form, or bought a used unit, I'm sure they have the info online.
    In the meantime, they say to unplug your unit.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Mine tossed a rod. Best thing that ever happened to the deafening POS.....
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Interesting. While mine is older, it never put out the CFMs it said it would. AND it was very expensive. Unfortunately, I only surmised that it was inadequate when I first bought it but didn't take it back because I didn't have proof until too late.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Mine tossed a rod. Best thing that ever happened to the deafening POS.....
        Yes, they are loud. Once mine kicked on while I was at work. A neighbor heard it and almost called the fire department.
        He's retired and keeps a great eye on the place.

Still, I like mine. I only use it for tires (especially for the Bearcat) and it's was a good buy for that.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have this model

I appreciate you posting the information. While I have the 919-167312 30 gal 6 hp compressor the manufacture date doesn't match the format listed on the recall sheet

03-17-04. I'll be calling just to air (HA!) on the side of caution EVEN THOUGH my motors cooling fan is a different style than any of those pictured.

As to the noise. Yes they are loud. Any of the Teflon coated oil less cylinder bored motors they make get loud.
          However the compressor has been a dependable tool over the years with moderate to moderate/heavy use.
          Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 11-20-2012, 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Whew.......looks like my Craftsman compressor missed the cuttoff date. Purchased in 1972

Seriously, this is a good thread subject to get the word out -- good move JBOYLE!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I was walking through the Sears tool department the other evening and noticed they have a belt driven 5 HP air compressor on display. I have not seen a belt driven unit on display in years. Possibly they are returning, and in my opinion this is better.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champ,
              \'50 Starlight Champ,
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Called customer service yesterday.
                After 15 min wait they determined I did have the model number in the recall
                The manufacture date was close enough they will be sending replacement parts out to me.

I bet a TW subscription that I have the updated parts already on my unit, if not then I'll swap them out.
                Some pics in the following days for sure.

Thanks J !
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

The letter/notice Sears sent was very clear and the evvelope it was sent in had Recall Notice in in red letters so it couldn't be mistaken as junk mail.
                  It listed all the models and dates affected and showed you where to find the model number and manufacture date. It had a place to write down the numbers so you'd have them at hand when you called customer service.
                  It even had a web address for a YouTube video showing how to install the new parts.

I called today, waited for less than a minute and they took my model, build date, address and phone.

They'll send the replacement kit (which includes special screws and screwdriver) on/around Dec. 15.
                  So far, I can't say I have any complaints with their efforts to resolve the problem.
                  Last edited by JBOYLE; 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Just an update I received the warranty compressor part and from what I've researched the plastic compound used in the original pieces was subject to melting and catching fire!

New shroud is a different compound.
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

This reminds me of a guy that worked for me and I had asked him to install a new filter on my Sears air compressor.
                      I got distracted and did not tell him where the new filters were.
                      Later I commented that he found the new filters and he replied.
                      I used the old filter the other side was clean.
                      I checked and sure enough he installed the old filter with the clean side out
                      and all the dirt that collected on the filter before got sucked into the compressor.

Comment

funny thread...I went out to start my Sears compressor yesterday and it wouldn't boost up. No click...no nothing....Any suggestions ? Good plug socket...

Comment

to JackB my compressor did what you described and I found the inside parts of the on off switch and related parts had melted. Look there first.

husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                            Just an update I received the warranty compressor part and from what I've researched the plastic compound used in the original pieces was subject to melting and catching fire!
                            New shroud is a different compound.

I was just about to post the same information.
                            The parts came Friday and I installed them.
                            I called the Sears number and said the parts look the same..I guessed they were made of a different type of plastric.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

When it comes to the shop I ave always taken the extra precaution to pull the power on everything. If I had a refrigerator I kept it on an active circuit along with a clock and alarm when I had an alarm system. I just feel you never know when a tool plugged in might short out, an extension cord start doing the sparky or even a space heater left on by mistake. Made me always feel safer.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X