Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a Joke, right?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/motor...cid=autos_3621
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

well...if they can hand out unmerited Nobel prizes to the "celebrity" of the moment...why not this?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Motor Trend has excellent judgement. Studebaker won in 1964.

OR maybe they had good judgement back then, but the judges all retired.

Comment

Read the Tesla test report, pretty impressive car.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/..._COTY_TSL_1112
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd like it a lot better if the grill opening was smaller. Other than that, I really like the looks.
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Motor Trend has been a joke for quite some time if you ask me.
            Tesla will be a punchline in the future - just like Edsel.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
              Motor Trend has been a joke for quite some time if you ask me.
              Tesla will be a punchline in the future - just like Edsel.

The Edsel was sort of a Buick sucking a lemon, nothing special, the Tesla is revolutionary engineering. Succeed or fail, it's one of the first of the breed.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Bob: Why do you think that it is a joke for Tesla to be named MT car of the year ?

Johyn S.

Comment

My questioning their award is the reality that it is not a car even remotely appropriate or able to be considered by and/or for the average new-car buyer.

Even after the $7,500 wealth-redistributing tax "credit," the car is still priced over $50,000! And it isn't available in very many markets.

I'm not questioning the technological wonder of it all, but if it doesn't make sense as a valid consideration for a majority of new-car buyers due to price and availability in small to medium markets, of what value is the award to the average Joe who might look to Motor Trend for a recommendation? BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                    Motor Trend has excellent judgement. Studebaker won in 1964.

OR maybe they had good judgement back then, but the judges all retired.
                    Please tell me which Studebaker model was chosen car of the year by Motor Trend in 1964. I think that you will find that Motor Trend awarded Car Of The Year in 1964 to the Ford Motor Company. No Studebaker model has even won Motor Trends Car Of The Year Award which was started back in 1949.

John S.
                    Last edited by Packard53; 11-12-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Used to be thatthe 'Car of the Year' got that way by buying 25,000 issues (for that month) and buying 14 pages of advertising.
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        My questioning their award is the reality that it is not a car even remotely appropriate or able to be considered by and/or for the average new-car buyer.

Even after the $7,500 wealth-redistributing tax "credit," the car is still priced over $50,000! And it isn't available in very many markets.

I'm not questioning the technological wonder of it all, but if it doesn't make sense as a valid consideration for a majority of new-car buyers due to price and availability in small to medium markets, of what value is the award to the average Joe who might look to Motor Trend for a recommendation? BP
                        Bob: Did you have a beef with Motor Trend in 2009 when they named the Nissan GT-R Car Of The Year.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
                          Bob: Did you have a beef with Motor Trend in 2009 when they named the Nissan GT-R Car Of The Year. John S.
                          No, because I wasn't aware of it. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            Used to be thatthe 'Car of the Year' got that way by buying 25,000 issues (for that month) and buying 14 pages of advertising.
                            If that were true now, they should have picked the Ford since they spend way more than tiny Tesla.
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Used to be that the 'Car of the Year' got that way by buying 25,000 issues (for that month) and buying 14 pages of advertising.
                              True, Jeff? (I'm asking and don't propose to know the answer.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X