This is a Joke, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Tidbit:

(According to Wikipedia) Since the inception of the Car of the Year in 1949, Studebaker has not been awarded. However, in 1950 (Studebaker's best post-war sales year) and in 1953 and 1954, no Car of the Year was awarded by the magazine.

Personally, I like to think that Motor Trend had a personal grudge against Studebaker and, in those years when they strongly deserved to win the Car of the Year award, Motor Trend would simply rather not give out an award than to give it to their nemesis from South Bend.

Now this is the type of conspiracy theory that I can believe in!

Should we start a campaign to get a Studebaker named for those missing years? C'mon Motor Trend, have some journalistic credibility and set the record straight!

Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      My questioning their award is the reality that it is not a car even remotely appropriate or able to be considered by and/or for the average new-car buyer.

Even after the $7,500 wealth-redistributing tax "credit," the car is still priced over $50,000! And it isn't available in very many markets.

I'm not questioning the technological wonder of it all, but if it doesn't make sense as a valid consideration for a majority of new-car buyers due to price and availability in small to medium markets, of what value is the award to the average Joe who might look to Motor Trend for a recommendation? BP
      Sort of a repeat from 1972 where the Citroen SM was MT's Car of the Year. Not a car for everyone as it was expensive for the time, but worthy of the award.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
        I'd like it a lot better if the grill opening was smaller. Other than that, I really like the looks.
        Actually, the "Grill Opening" isn't. It's a solid, holes free area painted black to satisfy those in need of a 'grill look' on the front of a car .... from a distance no one can tell if it's real or 'memorex.'
        JimsLeadCommander

Comment

There is a Tesla over here that is currently at a body shop. Our car group stopped at the shop for a very nice meal and "tire kicking" a while back, and we all of course were looking over the Tesla making various comments. The shop owner told us he had to sign papers from Tesla before being allowed to work on it that he would not open a box that apparently contained some of the drive or battery "secrets" . It is the smaller Tesla that looks a lot like a Lotus. As for Motor Trend, well, I think if folks look back thru' the 60's and 70's in particular, they can make a rather good judgement about the soundness of some of the "best of's". Perhaps there just wasn't much to choose from. Personally, I prefer to favor Jeff's theory, ha !

Comment

If it is a joke, it's on the cynics.
            Seems a remarkable car for the money, even before consideration of electric power and subsequent gas savings.
            U-S-A! U-S-A!
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Yesterday (Sunday, Nov 11th) I got to ride in a friends new Tesla S. He says it's the "Best Car in America." I can attest that it is very fast from a stop and climbing hills is an amazing feeling....smooched back in the seat as if in a jet taking off! He ordered one with all the goodies, skyroof, handling package, 21" wheels with 'sport tires.' Also, the top of the line battery pack that a Motor Trend staffer said got 284 miles from one charge driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. (See the Video).
              Because of all these 'extras' my friends Tesla cost very close to $100,000 but, he says it compares to cars costing $150K or more. Yes, this Tesla IS a "Luxury" car not a Chevy or Ford so, it does cost more than those. And the gas savings? Doesn't use ANY of the stuff! Oh yeah, it is completely MADE IN AMERICA!! (Fremont, CA)
              JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Used to be thatthe 'Car of the Year' got that way by buying 25,000 issues (for that month) and buying 14 pages of advertising.
                Since were theorizing here how 'bout this: Mr. Musk who builds the Tesla in Fremont, CA also is the same guy who sent up 'Dragon' to the Space Station recently and successfully brought it back to Earth. Space X is his game and TESLA is the name to be remembered for a long time. I hear they have an SUV in the works now too. I think that alone would impress Motor Trend -- subscription or not.
                JimsLeadCommander

Comment

I remember reading an article (or book?) that had that statement in it.
                  (IIRC, it was Lee Iacocca speaking about the Chrysler Kcar days after his move to Chrysler from Ford).
                  I might not have the numbers exactly right, but the comment has always stuck with me (about the magazine and the award).

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  True, Jeff? (I'm asking and don't propose to know the answer.) BP
                  Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCKUsed to be that the 'Car of the Year' got that way by buying 25,000 issues (for that month) and buying 14 pages of advertising.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

meaningless. the renault alliance also won this award, and it was a piece of crap.
                    61 lark cruiser
                    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Was the new Dart in the running?

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                        Was the new Dart in the running?

I think so, here's the 25 contenders, but I did not take the time to read them all.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...COTY_FINL_1112
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

It's not all wine and roses with Tesla...

http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-mo...design-problem
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That is insane, I drove a Tesla roadster recently and it has no power steering and rides like an early Corvette. It is fast,but at $125,000 the price makes the car not sellable to most people. For that kind of money, I would rather have a new Corvette. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                              That is insane, I drove a Tesla roadster recently and it has no power steering and rides like an early Corvette. It is fast,but at $125,000 the price makes the car not sellable to most people. For that kind of money, I would rather have a new Corvette. Bud
                              It is not the early roadster, a modified Lotus, that is Car of the Year. The CotY is the new sedan.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The larger batteries are a $20,000 option....
                                Check out the prices for the other options....$49,900 is just the starting point. Want a charger...that's extra along with metallic paint, a parcel shelf and the usual sat nav stuff.

I'm so glad part of my taxes go to people who can afford a $50-80,000 car but then get it cheaper because of "Tax incentives". How about you?
                                63 Avanti R1 2788
                                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                                X