Bob Palma Hemmings article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Palma Hemmings article

Bob P., enjoyed your article in Hemmings Classic Car as always, and it kinda made me grin too. You asked how would folks REALLY like driving a 30's era car daily, and I'm betting in a busy area or an area with bad roads, not much ! I drive our 48 Anglia part of the time around town, (and they were made as late as 1959 in the Popular series of cars), and it has a single leaf spring front and rear, lever "shocks", mechanical brakes, 3 speed manual, one wiper, around 22 horsepower, and right-hand drive. That probably qualifies almost as a 30's car, doesn't it, ha ! There are lots of hills here, and handbrake starts are not very elegant, since I have to press the foot brake, push the emergency brake button, tap it in, then let it out, all the while wondering if that monster horsepower with some possibly measurable torque is going to pull me off stop . It is great fun- - once in a while- - to drive the little fellow, but it is a constant job. No texting, hair combing, reading, waving at girls, shaving or putting on make-up in one of these !

Your comparisons to the 80's are good, although some features were sparsley used before then, but great article. Oh, liked the Studebaker mention in the story too. Did you see the Studebaker in the readers rides section of the new (Jan 13) Rod and Custom Magazine ? Keep up the good work, John

P S, it is great fun watching the unknowing when they see the foot brake pedal fly down when I pull out the emergency brake handle out, ha ! VERY few people in my circle of friends or people at car shows make the "connection".

Thanks, John; 'glad you enjoyed it.

You're right; the '48 Anglia does sound primitive compared with America's 1948 offerings....but, of course, Ford was clinging to the beam front axle for their final year in '48. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
    X