Now I know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I know!

When I was 17 years old or so living in Houston, I and my friends would go to the junk yards to buy parts for our first cars, mine was a 1940 Chevy with a Dodge 318 drive train. We went to a yard one Saturday morning looking for some type of part and out front of the owners shack parked in the weeds was a strange looking car, it was a covertible with big fins and weird front end. I have never forgotten what the name tag said on the hood, it said Spohn. I ask the owner what kind of car it was and he said all he knew was it was some kind of custom car built in Germany. This was in 1970 and now in 2012 I now know what I was looking at back then thanks to Chassing Classic Cars. Yep it was a BMW Spohn bodied Veritas or something close to it. The car was all there but not in very good shape. It was for sale, but I was making $2.00 per hour at a car wash. If I only new then what I now know.

I do hope you have already gone back to see if it is still there..........................

Comment

I recall a discussion about the four-wheeled "Moby Dick" on Bring A Trailer some time ago..
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

My mistake was when i was 19 years old,Was going to a auto mechanics class in downtown Cincinnat, Ohio Walked from class to get parts at Chevy dealer (didn't dare move your car during day ,or no parking place when you got back) and went thru back lot of dealer going quickest way. Walked up behind a early 60's Fury convertible , As I walked by, saw a nice 4 speed shifter and bucket seats , then cast iron headers behind front tire and a hood scoop, popped hood and their set 2 fours on a crossram intake. Said $495 on windshield, I too couldn't come up with $495 at the time. My ride at that time was 66 Belvedere II 2 dr hardtop with a 383 4 barrel 4 speed. What would that convertble be worth today?
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Spohn Customs

Jewell, There were 2-3 dozen Spohn Custom cars built by the Hermann Spohn Carosserie in Ravensburg, Germany. One of those was owned by Maj. Jack T. Chandler of Huntsville. I have pics of the car I can send to you. The particular car was based on a 1941 Ford but you would never know that. Maj. Chandler died in service to our country in 1959.
          There is a Facebook page called Spohn Custom Enthusiasts and I invite you to visit.
          Also sending you a PM.
          Thanks for posting your memory!

Comment

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/10/11/...bmw-cabriolet/

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/?p=16593

Last edited by pdrnec; 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

The Spohn-bodied Veritas /BMW that sold at the Hartung collection auction was one of two Veritas with customization - particularly the tail of the car looked very similar to the GM /Harley Earl /Le Sabre concept car.
              The Spohn that lived near Houston had very similar tail styling but much different side and front styling and was based on a '41 Ford. I'm having trouble posting pics or would show it to y'all. It is on the Spohn Custom Enthusiasts Facebook page in "Albums".

Comment

I think the junk yard was off of Holmes Road near the city dump, I still wonder why this car was there and not in the hands of a collector. I need to ask my old friends that would have been with me if they remember the Spohn.

Comment

Spohn

Jewell, please pick up your private message and I'd be happy to send you photos of the specific car I believe you saw that day. I'm unable to post them. You would be welcome to post them for me. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by StillOutThere View Post
                    Jewell, please pick up your private message and I'd be happy to send you photos of the specific car I believe you saw that day. I'm unable to post them. You would be welcome to post them for me. Thanks.
                    One more thing, the car I saw was in red primer or a color close to that.

Comment

Would have been 17-18 years old at the time and TX sun and SE TX humidity could well have harmed the original finish requiring the primer job.

Comment

The good news is that the car I saw was a true Spohn, bad news is, I didn't know what I was looking at back then. What are these cars worth?

Comment

There have been two public auctions of Spohn Customs in recent years and one private sale. The unrestored Veritas /BMW Spohn Custom sold from the Hartung collection in Chicago in Nov of 2011 for $196,000. A green '40 Ford-based Spohn Custom sold in July of 2011 for six figures. The 25+ year old restoration of a (believed to be) '39 Ford Spohn Custom sold to Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars TV show (on Velocity Channel) from the Dezer museum in Florida during 2012 but the price was never mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                          X