X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOPS: Hyundai/Kia MPG rebate coming!

OOPS!

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...autonews-annow
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

LOL! No, really, great cars to buy<GG>

I, of course, will not be receiving a rebate. None of the American brands I own are eligible.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

I, of course, will not be receiving a rebate. None of the American brands I own are eligible.
      They probably should be.

I've rented a car every week for the past 20 weeks. I put between 250 and 300 miles on them in a week...almost all highway (LAX to Tehachapi...the 405 to the 5 to the 14 to the 58 and back). I reset the trip computers before I leave the Avis lot. I've never gotten as good as the stated EPA MPG. My latest was a Malibu (nice car!). Advertised at 33 highway...I got 25.7. Last week was a Cruz RS with the 1.4 turbo 4 (I'd own one). Advertised at 38 highway...I got 31. The closest was a Focus. Advertised at 36, I got 34.

Maybe Kia/Hyundai are the only ones admitting the "procedural error"?

The good news is that new cars compete at a VERY high level. It used to be easy to find the "dogs". No longer. Fit, finish, comfort, performance, style, ergonomics, handling...no dogs that I have found (including Kia's and Hyundais)
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

OTOH, sometimes they get it right.

My 2002 Dakota Quad Cab came with a 15 City / 20 Highway rating on the window sticker, and that is exactly what it does, day in and day out....and a solid 14 mpg pulling a loaded car trailer at 55 mph, which I consider excellent. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          OTOH, sometimes they get it right.

My 2002 Dakota Quad Cab came with a 15 City / 20 Highway rating on the window sticker, and that is exactly what it does, day in and day out....and a solid 14 mpg pulling a loaded car trailer at 55 mph, which I consider excellent. BP
          My '11 Malibu 4-cyl 6AT is rated at 33 highway. Drove it 250 highway miles yesterday. Got 33.4 mpg.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

My 2007 Hyundai Sonata 4cyl was rated to get 33 highway but I've gotten 35 with it. Pretty decent car so far.
            Rick
            Kingman, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              My 2007 Hyundai Sonata 4cyl was rated to get 33 highway but I've gotten 35 with it. Pretty decent car so far.

Uh-oh, Rick. You'd better get ready to send them a check! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Guess it's a good thing I've only got 19,500 miles on it!
                Rick
                Kingman, AZ

Comment

aren't all MPG ratings basically bogus?
                  I thought I read somewhere several years ago that the tests are basically in lab conditions where they run an engine without an air filter, or something to that effect. Kinda best case scenario type deal.

I think the economy cars are much more inflated than trucks/suv's. Could you imagine someone advertising 28 mpg on a 4x4 pickup truck and people only getting like 16? They would be slightly irate. I think a lot of people don't even calculate mpg anymore, at least not car buff people.

My 2003 Expedition is rated 12/18, and get 14 constantly with about half city/hwy driving. If I am on a trip and pull off at a highway gas station, and get right back on, I love seeing 18 or 19 on my readout after resetting it. But anything over 65, and you really start to get wind drag affecting that number.
                  I got 13 pulling my 60 lark to south bend and back (from Minneapolis) on a 3500 pound large flatbed trailer. I was happy about that!

Comment

Bob, the Dakotas must be getting a lot better gas mileage these days. Back in 2002 we bought a 99 Dakota extended cab pick up with the 340 V8 and automatic. The truck ran good, but never got over 14 mpg. 12 was the average mpg for it. It was a good looking truck, ran great with plenty of power but could not pass a gas station without stopping.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                      Bob, the Dakotas must be getting a lot better gas mileage these days. Back in 2002 we bought a 99 Dakota extended cab pick up with the 340 V8 and automatic. The truck ran good, but never got over 14 mpg. 12 was the average mpg for it. It was a good looking truck, ran great with plenty of power but could not pass a gas station without stopping.
                      A 340, Paul? I thought the '99s had only 318s and 360s available?

Anyway, you're right; the 360, especially, was a gas hog. I thought I needed/wanted a 360, but asked a long-time MoPar dealer friend if I needed the 360 for towing, as opposed to the 4.7 (287). He said, "Only if you want to use more gas!"

And he was right: I got the 4.7 and it is wonderful. We are pretty much flat-landers in central Indiana, but it was put to the test towing The Stude Tomato on my trailer to the SDC 2004 International Meet in Charlotte for Ted Harbit, over the mountains both ways. It did fine at all elevations; I was both surprised and pleased.

Of course, I'm not one of these morons who insist on pulling a loaded trailer at 75 mph, either; 55-58 mph is tops for me...and knock on wood; no accidents in almost 40 years of towing.

BTW, overall mpg for that trip to Charlotte and back was an impressive 14.21! That's with a loaded trailer both ways through the mountains from central Indiana to Charlotte NC and back. BP.

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                      X