Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 10-29, 1955 Packard Clipper

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 06-29-2014, 09:21 PM.

Very nice, Craig.

That is the lower-priced of the two 1955 Clipper hardtops: a 1955 Clipper Super Panama. You can just barely see the Panama script below the left quarter side window.

It will have the 320 cubic inch V8 engine and may have the regular coil/leaf spring suspension like any other 1951-1954 Packard. Or someone may have paid the extra money and ordered this car with the new-for-1955 Torsion-level suspension, which was optional at extra cost on Clipper Supers, both sedan and hardtop.

The higher-priced 1955 Clipper Hardtop was the Custom Constellation. It would have a full-length rocker panel molding that extnded up and over the top of the rear wheel opening, and no fender skirts. The Constellation would also have the 352 cubic inch engine and Torsion-level suspension, which were standard equipment on the Constellation hardtop, as well as the Custom sedan. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I love those..............
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Whenever I see these, it reminds me of when a friend had six of these '55-'56 Packards. He stored one or more in my side yard. He was unable to sell them. We ended up driving them to the junkyard. I got used to seeing one about ten feet from my kitchen door, but not enough to save it.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, don't care for the car as a whole, but the Dagmars aren't bad...

sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
          Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission
          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I still say it looks like a Merc or Lincoln.
            Pretty generic looking mid-50s car....
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I love that car! A former member of our chapter had a two toned blue one. Unique in that it had a three speed overdrive transmission.
              Surprisingly enough he had a second one waiting to be restored that had the same set up. I really would have loved to have that car.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

You can here note the difference between the subject car (a Super Panama) and the more expensiveCustom Constellation:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Another related memory - We used to take one of my friend's Patricians when we went looking for engines because we could bring the engine home in the trunk. This was in the 1970s. I don't guess that many people would do that now. Not "everyone" had a pickup in those days. Also, very few have multiple Patricians now.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hmm...reminds me of a certain 56 Plymouth Belvedere I saw posted recently that reminded me of a mid-fifties Packard.
                    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                    Jim Mann
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Canada

Comment

I recently acquired a '56 Clipper hardtop in good buildable cond. which I do not intend to keep, if anyone is interested.
                      I don't have time to work on my 56 "400' so don't need the Clipper.
                      Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Seems odd that there's no chrome trim around the windshield moulding on a nice car like this. Unless there's something wrong with my eyes or my computer screen.

Dave Bonn
                        '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                          Seems odd that there's no chrome trim around the windshield moulding on a nice car like this. Unless there's something wrong with my eyes or my computer screen. Dave Bonn
                          You're right, Dave. It's either missing or has been painted satin black. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                          X