• Show
Clear All

• Here's My Kind of Limo.....

I ound this on the H.A.M.B.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Here's the later version of the 7-passenger limo, based on the body similar to those cars in the showroom: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=limousine

Craig

Comment

Craig, the later model you posted the link to is a grand automobile too, but for me I have always preferred the earlier "bathtub" models. Don't know why, maybe I'm just a little odd when it comes to automotive design.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
        Craig, the later model you posted the link to is a grand automobile too, but for me I have always preferred the earlier "bathtub" models. Don't know why, maybe I'm just a little odd when it comes to automotive design.
        Arguably, the 7-passenger sedan/limousine has the best proportions of all the Pregnant Elephant models.

Craig

Comment

A little odd you say!! You like cars I can't even pronounce or spell!!!!!

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

The limo in the picture is a 1949 Packard built by Henney. The limo weighed around 4,900 lbs. and sold for nearly $ 4,900 costing roughly a buck a pound > Think the picture was a taken in 1953 as far as I can determine.

Bob Palma can you tell from the picture as to the Packard's in the show room are 53 or 54 Packard's. I believe the Packard on the left in the show room is a Patrician. Your thoughts please.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
              A little odd you say!! You like cars I can't even pronounce or spell!!!!!
              SSShhhh...you don't have to tell everybody.....
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Well Joe, you have good taste in Limo's, but for me...here's the ultimate Limo!

John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The cars in the showroom are 1953 models. The darker car on the left is a Patrician and the lighter car on the right is a Clipper. (By zooming in on the photo, you can see the distinctive side moldings of each.)

The Dodge out front is also a 1953 model....and given the weight of the subject car pointed downhill at the Dodge, I hope the parking brake is firmly set!

Neat photo; thanks. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Well Joe, you have good taste in Limo's, but for me...here's the ultimate Limo!

Well John you do have a point. I have seen this limo and it is very well done indeed.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser

Comment

Back in the day as kids growing up in the 50's, when attending funerals we were quite mezmerized by seeing these stately Packards being used as limos , hearses and flower toters. Seemed most funeral homes used Packards or Cadu's.
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                        Back in the day as kids growing up in the 50's, when attending funerals we were quite mezmerized by seeing these stately Packards being used as limos , hearses and flower toters. Seemed most funeral homes used Packards or Cadu's.
                        A local funeral home, with two branches has a 1929 Studebaker hearse that they still use on request.
                        Most funeral vehicles around here in the past were Cadillacs. I do not remember any Packards. I do remember when the funeral home in Fishkill (my hometown) got their new black 1956 Safari that they used for a service vehicle for years.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I was still in high school the funeral home in a small neighboring town had a 36 Packard hearse for sale. My dad and I both wanted that car, but mom wasn't about to have a hearse parked in her driveway.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                          X